VMware Cloud Community
huwy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

expanding array

My ESX 4.1 server has run out of disk space.

Its a Dell R610 with a RAID 5 array.

I was thinking of adding another 2 drives and expanding the array. Is it possible to do this without losing any data on the drive? i.e. can you expand the array in Dell open manage and will ESX recognise the increased size?

Thanks in advance,

Huw

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure this will work with the H700, but please double check.

For documentation see Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller (PERC)

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

you need  check in setup of controller of your server.

i found it... http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/svradmin/1.9/en/stormgmt/vdtkrcn1.html#188479

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you created a Virtual Disk specifically for the ESX installation within the Dell array configuration utility you may be OK. If not I would simply create a new datastore with the new drives.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
huwy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is one raid 5 array, but I created 2 virtual disks. One for ESX and one for the VMs.

Do you think it can be done then?

-H

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

IMO you have 3 options:

1. Create a new RAID 1 array with the two new disks (probably a waste of disk space)
  2. Add the two disks to the RAID 5 array and resize the existing logical disk for the datastore. Make sure the size does not exceed the max. size of ~2 TB. If the "Add Storage" wizard does not allow you to grow the existing VMFS datastore, you may need to expand it manually (we currently discuss this in Re: Trying to Expand Datastore)
  3. Add the two disks to the RAID 5 array and create an additional logical volume, on which you can create another VMFS datastores. This should work without any issues.

André

0 Kudos
huwy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre.

You raise a good point I was planning on adding 2x 1TB drives which will take the array past the 2TB limit.

Therefore it sounds like the best option would be to add the 2 new drives to the RAID 5 array and expanding the array. I would then create a 3rd virtual disk. I can then move some of the VMs onto this new disk.

Can this be done without effecting the OS and VMs on the existing virtual disks?

-H

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can this be done without effecting the OS and VMs on the existing virtual disks?

This all depends on the RAID controller's capabilities. If the RAID controller can handle an unconstructive expansion and the creation of a new logical volume, everything should work without issues. The ESXi hosts will see a new disk and you will be able to add it as a new datastore.

However, it's always good to have a backup.

André

0 Kudos
huwy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cheers again.

The controller is a Dell PERC H700 integrated.

Firmware Version 12.3.0-0032  Driver Version 00.00.04.14.18-1vmw

I'm trying to find the info on this but if anyone knows already that would really help me out.

Thanks,

-H

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure this will work with the H700, but please double check.

For documentation see Dell PowerEdge RAID Controller (PERC)

André

0 Kudos
mtechnical1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found this document of use:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/svradmin/5.1/en/omss_ug/html/vdmgmt.html#1295931

Specifically:

To Reconfigure a Virtual Disk: Step 1 of 3

1. #Select the physical disks that you want to include in the virtual disk. You can expand the virtual disk's capacity by adding additional physical disks. On some controllers, you can also remove physical disks.

The changes you make to the physical disk selection are displayed in the Selected Physical Disks table#Click Continue to go to the next screen or Exit Wizard if you want to cancel.

To locate this task in Storage Management:

1. #Expand the Storage tree object to display the controller objects.
  2. #Expand a controller object.
  3. #Select the Virtual Disks object.
  4. #Select Reconfigure from the Available Tasks drop-down menu.
  5. #Click Execute.

Hope this helps.

Daniel

www.mtechnical.co.uk

0 Kudos