Patk009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

expand vmfs volume online

Thanks all your help.

I have a VMFS volume with 200G and 1 vm running on it, I want to expand it by:

- expand the lun size from san storage to 500G

- expand that VMFS to 300G from vcentre.

Is it safe to do the online expand VMFS when the vm is running?

The guest VM config on that VMFS:

- Windows 2008

- c:\ 30GB

- d:\ 160GB

After expand the VMFS, I will expand the D:\ drive of that VM from 160GB to 300GB, that means the vmdk file will be 300G,

My question is that vmdk will growth to 300GB across the old size vmfs and the new size vmfs 300GB, any issue on this scenario?

ie can the vmdk able to expand it size and use on a expanded VMFS voluem?

Thanks

Patrick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
julienvarela
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi Patrick,

Yes no worries on that.

After expand the VMFS, I will expand the D:\ drive of that VM from 160GB to 300GB, that means the vmdk file will be 300G,

My question is that vmdk will growth to 300GB across the old size vmfs and the new size vmfs 300GB, any issue on this scenario?

After expand the VMFS, your host will only see a unique Datastore of 500GB. So you can expand your vmdk to 300GB without issue.

For expand your vmdk, just right-click on your vm --> "Edit Setting" --> Select your hard disk--> And type the new size. Then in your guest OS expand your partition.

Regards,

Julien.

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
julienvarela
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi Patrick,

Yes no worries on that.

After expand the VMFS, your host will only see a unique Datastore of 500GB. So you can expand your vmdk to 300GB without issue.

For expand your vmdk, just right-click on your vm --> "Edit Setting" --> Select your hard disk--> And type the new size. Then in your guest OS expand your partition.

Regards,

Julien.

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr
0 Kudos
Patk009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your information, Julien.

Patrick

0 Kudos