VMware Cloud Community
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

esxtop

Hi

If I would like run esxtop in batch mode in order to collect static data every 2 min. How can i set -d and -n

can I do

esxtop -b -a -d 60 -n 2  or esxtop -b -a -d 120 -n 1 ?

thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there,

The -d sets the amount of time between collections and the -n is the number of collections to run.

If you use esxtop -b -a -d 60 -n 2 then you will get 2 collections 60 seconds apart then esxtop will stop. If you use esxtop -b -a -d 120 -n 1 then you will get 1 collection 120 seconds apart. Based on your question you need to set -d to 120 and -n to however many collections you want, i.e. 99. This would then run esxtop collection stats every 2 minutes 99 times.

Trust this makes some sort of sense Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there,

The -d sets the amount of time between collections and the -n is the number of collections to run.

If you use esxtop -b -a -d 60 -n 2 then you will get 2 collections 60 seconds apart then esxtop will stop. If you use esxtop -b -a -d 120 -n 1 then you will get 1 collection 120 seconds apart. Based on your question you need to set -d to 120 and -n to however many collections you want, i.e. 99. This would then run esxtop collection stats every 2 minutes 99 times.

Trust this makes some sort of sense Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Because it says "Collect data for 12 hours at 5 min intervals" - if d=43200 and n=1 then this would be collecting data for 12 hours but at 1 minute intervals. You would still be collecting data for the correct length of time but just have more collections than required.

Does that help?

vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

thank you

0 Kudos