vSohill
Expert
Expert

Hi

If I would like run esxtop in batch mode in order to collect static data every 2 min. How can i set -d and -n

can I do

esxtop -b -a -d 60 -n 2  or esxtop -b -a -d 120 -n 1 ?

thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there,

The -d sets the amount of time between collections and the -n is the number of collections to run.

If you use esxtop -b -a -d 60 -n 2 then you will get 2 collections 60 seconds apart then esxtop will stop. If you use esxtop -b -a -d 120 -n 1 then you will get 1 collection 120 seconds apart. Based on your question you need to set -d to 120 and -n to however many collections you want, i.e. 99. This would then run esxtop collection stats every 2 minutes 99 times.

Trust this makes some sort of sense Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there,

The -d sets the amount of time between collections and the -n is the number of collections to run.

If you use esxtop -b -a -d 60 -n 2 then you will get 2 collections 60 seconds apart then esxtop will stop. If you use esxtop -b -a -d 120 -n 1 then you will get 1 collection 120 seconds apart. Based on your question you need to set -d to 120 and -n to however many collections you want, i.e. 99. This would then run esxtop collection stats every 2 minutes 99 times.

Trust this makes some sort of sense Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
vSohill
Expert
Expert

Thank you

0 Kudos
vSohill
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there,

Because it says "Collect data for 12 hours at 5 min intervals" - if d=43200 and n=1 then this would be collecting data for 12 hours but at 1 minute intervals. You would still be collecting data for the correct length of time but just have more collections than required.

Does that help?

vSohill
Expert
Expert

thank you

0 Kudos