VMware Cloud Community
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

esxtop - disk VM (v view) to log

I'm trying to capture some info to put in a report. I saved my default view as the 'disk VM' view and am running "esxtop -b -d 2 -n 600 > esxtopcap.csv". I thought that it would just capture my default view but, instead, I'm getting a thousand column csv with a ton of info that I'm NOT looking for.

I really just want it to log the 'disk VM' view. Anyone know how to do this?

TIA!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dhanarajramesh

when your using esxtop batch mode everything will be captured. in order to look for your vm disk performance the easiest tool is Windows performance monitoring tool. just I created the steps for you MY SERVER ISSUES: Create performence chart using windows performence monitoring tool ( especially fo...

Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thx dhanarajramesh!

In Perfmon, do you know what the equivalent to "LAT/rd" is? I can't find it? Ideally I'd like to get a time chart with the info highlighted below.

esxtop VM latency2 obfuscate.jpg

(This is a spike pictured above. After this spike the numbers did bounce around in the hundreds for several seconds before going back down to 0-20)

0 Kudos
Wh33ly
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What if you look at  'd' (Disk device) and check for the metrics below

LatencyInStorageStack

GAVG (Guest Average Latency) total latency as seen from vSphere

KAVG (Kernel Average Latency) time an I/O request spent waiting inside the vSphere storage stack.

QAVG (Queue Average latency) time spent waiting in a queue inside the vSphere Storage Stack.

DAVG (Device Average Latency) latency coming from the physical hardware, HBA and Storage device.

This will show you were the latency starts. I think the latency you see from the "V" (Disk VM) view is the total latency from this VM (GAVG)

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/05/troubleshooting-storage-performance-in-vsphere-part-1-the-ba...

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thx Wh33ly.

I have done this and the latency that I am seeing on the 'disk VM' view corresponds to the DAVG on the 'disk' view. So, I already know it's somewhere from the driver down. What I need is to tie this into a particular VM which is why I am trying to get info from an esxtop batch run. The data is proving to be a little unwieldy though.

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

LAT= Latency

LAT/rd and LAT/wr columns indicate the average response time of read and write I/O commands seen by the VM. Compare these with DAVG/rd and DAVG/rw. If LAT/rd > DAVG/rd or LAT/rw > DAVG/rw and QUED = 0 than the latency is more than likely cause by the snapshot as DAVG/rd and DAVG/rw is device latency and LAT/rd and LAT/rw is the latency observed by the guest.

0 Kudos