VMware Cloud Community
elgordojimenez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

esxi vm on workstation, can connect ipod?

Hello,

This question is either yes or no:

I have esxi 4 installed as a vm on workstation, then on the esxi 4 host i deployed a windows xp 32bit vm, i added usb devices on both esxi vm on workstation and windows xp vm on esxi, i can connect the ipod to the esxi vm, that is no mistery, since i have a windows 7 vm on workstation and i can use itunes and all that.

But, can i connect the ipod to the xp vm residing on the esxi host?

Cheers.

**** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful ****
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The answer is "No".

You can't pass through USB devices to a VM running on ESXi. It does not matter whether the ESXi host is physical or vitalized (as in your case)

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I am just curious how come you don't just create the VMs on workstation instead of creating an esxi server, to then virtually host virtual machines? If you are wanting to connect your ipod I think you will have more luck just creating the VM directly on workstation. I would imagin to get what you want to work you will have to find a way to create a usb device on the VM that connects to the device (/dev/usb1 or something like that) on the esxi server. It would be really interesting if you get it to work though.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
elgordojimenez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey thanks for your reply. I am kinda playing around and just wondering if it is possible to do it. i do have a vm on workstation and use my ipod on this vm with no problems ... just wondering if someone has come accross this with esxi vm and vm inside Smiley Happy

**** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful ****
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The answer is "No".

You can't pass through USB devices to a VM running on ESXi. It does not matter whether the ESXi host is physical or vitalized (as in your case)

André

0 Kudos