VMware Cloud Community
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

esxi update

I have standalone ESXi 6.0. now I want to update 6.0 to 6.5 . can you say step by step upgrade. the upgrade will be with hp ILO so i will use this method . vm's works on the esxi local disk

please write steps . thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hope you have already validated the compatibility of your server hardware and its components with ESXi 6.5. Proceed, only if they are compatible. If the ESXi is installed on the same local disk as the local datastore where the VMs reside, you have to use the 'Upgrade ESXi, preserve VMFS datastore' option. Ensure the use the hardware vendor custom image for 6.5 and not the VMware standard image. Other details and step-by-step instructions with screenshots are provided in both the below links -

Upgrade ESXi 6 to ESXi 6.5 | Mastering VMware

How to Upgrade ESXi 6.0 to ESXi 6.5 using ISO image

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hope you have already validated the compatibility of your server hardware and its components with ESXi 6.5. Proceed, only if they are compatible. If the ESXi is installed on the same local disk as the local datastore where the VMs reside, you have to use the 'Upgrade ESXi, preserve VMFS datastore' option. Ensure the use the hardware vendor custom image for 6.5 and not the VMware standard image. Other details and step-by-step instructions with screenshots are provided in both the below links -

Upgrade ESXi 6 to ESXi 6.5 | Mastering VMware

How to Upgrade ESXi 6.0 to ESXi 6.5 using ISO image

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In addition to that ensure that you have backups of your virtual machines before upgrading. Also you need to shutdown the virtual machines, therefore take into account downtime.

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

See also your thread here and my response to you. We're glad to help you, but you also need to do some work yourself. Asking for a step-by-step approach on a silver platter is not going to go well.