4. Reboot server  ESX;
    5. Press F11 Boot Menu;
    6. Select 1 CD-ROM;
    7. Upgrade ESXi, preserve VMFS datastore;
    8. F11 upgrade;
    9. Remove Virtual Media installation files;
    10. Check version is VMware ESXi 6.7.0 in ILO interface;
    11. Test if network connections are ok

i mean put in maintenance esx then reboot work?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @nimicyy ,

It's better to place the host in maintenance mode if it has running VMs. Maintenance mode is used to stop any kind of I/Os from this host, before initiating a reboot. If no VMs, you can go for without maintenance mode as well

Procedure looks good for upgrade. I don't see the current version, but ensure it supports direct upgrade to 6.7

ESXi upgrade path --> VMware interoperability for ESXi upgrade 

Upgrade instructions --> Upgrade Hosts Interactively 

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
nimicyy
Contributor
Contributor

i reboot from dvd so once the reboot begin that there will be no i/o traffic.so no need of maintenance.right?

if i perform things on  esxi then i put in maintenance.after ecerything done i reboot esxi.once rebooted this esxi is in maintenance?

if there are no VMs on this esxi then no maintenance is necessary.right?

After i reinstall new ESXI then i must register VM again with this host?

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
If you perform the update starting from DVD or UDB you don't need the maintenance mode.
The maintenance mode is used when installing patches or updating online from the ESXi.
If you have VMs on the ESXi host, the best way to do this is to move them to another ESXi and then after the update move them back to the original ESXi.

It is always advisable to have a backup of the VMs.
If you only have one ESXi with VMs, the option is always Upgrade ESXi, preserve VMFS datastore, with this option all configuration and data is preserved and only the ESXi is updated.
If you reinstall the ESXi you should choose Install ESXi, preserve VMFS datastore, this option preserves the data (VMs) but not the ESXi configuration which you should register the VMs and configure el ESXi  (be careful with this option).

You have to verify that your host hardware and current version of ESXi supports the new version 6.7 and you have the respective licenses. If you have 6.0 or 6.5 these are the same licenses key (you don't need anything else)

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos