VMware Cloud Community
Sh0ckWave
Contributor
Contributor

esxi query

Hi,

I see lots of references on the vmware site to esxi 4 being free. However, when I go to the download page it says I'll be sent an email with an evaluation license. Now, I did install esxi 4 some time ago with an eval license. Is that why I don't see any options for a free license?

I've tried to work around this by using vmware go but that seems buggy and unstable so I've ignored that. So right now, I want to use ESXi 4 but am at an impass. If someone can guide me to the correct page (I assume I'm using the wrong download page) where I can get an appropriate license file I'll be ful of thanks. I'll then be able to get on with doing things.

I must say the vmware site and product options seem almost to confuse by design.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
3 Replies
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You need to register for the free version, rather than downloading a trial of vSphere.

Try http://www.vmware.com/go/get-free-esxi

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos
Sh0ckWave
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but that's the page I've been to before. It tell me to follow the link in the confirmation email to get my evaluation license. I don't receive a confirmation email and assume this is because I received one when I downloaded the eval copy a few months back.

So is the license an evaluation license or free? It's still not clear and I still don't have access.

Regards,

Dave

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Once you sign in there should be an ESXi license code on the next page. You can also check if you are on eval license, since the vSphere client under licensing will state that there are X days left.

Alternatively you could register with another email addy.

HTH

0 Kudos