VMware Cloud Community
paulio1978
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

esxi on Dell R610 always in lockdown mode help!

Hi,

I am having a really wierd issue with 2 Dell r610 servers. They were supposed to come with esxi on an sd card. I tried to boot from the sd card but nothing happened. So I basically downloaed the trial version of ESXi (not the dell one) as I was waiting on licenses. I installed it over the top of the dell esxi install and when i boot up it is in lockeddown mode with the setting greyed out. I have reinstalled and it makes no difference.

Am I missing something? I have no vcenter server at the moment as the aim was to use a vm. Is there a dell bios setting causing this or something?

its really wierd!

many thanks for any help. I have to go back tommorow with an answer!

Paul

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jpdicicco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

>BTW there is NO such thing as a DELL version of ESX. It just means it has additional support tools to install, but you can install those tools AFTER ESX is installed.

RParker- You are, of course, technically correct. The ESXi image offered on the Dell support site is just ESXi with the Dell CIM provider already installed. However, referring to it as the "Dell Version" is merely an indication that it was downloaded from and customized by Dell (with the CIM provider). This makes it the "Dell version" as they are the ones offering it and you are unlikely to find it offered for download by, say, HP.

Happy virtualizing!

JP

Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.

Happy virtualizing! JP Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just install the VI client. Lockdown mode simply means you can't have console access... you can STILL access and create VM's from the VI Console.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So in the DCUI you can't select the Configure Lockdown Mode menu option (i.e. it is greyed out and is just skipped when you try to select it)?

If it is actually in Lockdown Mode then you won't be able to access the host directly with the vSphere client (or any vSphere API client like the vCLI or PowerCLI). The default option is not to enable this option and that it is grayed out likely is by design.

Just set an IP address for the host in the DCUI, download the vSphere client from vmware.com and make a connection to the host. By default the root password is blank.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

paulio1978
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ah ok,

Basically I just installed esxi and then logged on to the console. The option was greyed out. I configured ip settings and a root password and then tried to login using the vi client but it said "login incorrect or incorrect password".

I enabled remote ssh support and tried to putty in using the new root password and got "Access Denied". I knwo the password I set was being typed in correctly I triple checked it.

Should I just reinstall and try to connect once I have configured ip settings and not set the root password or something? its very strange

thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is a bug with ESXi 4.1 passwords - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1024500 and here are the requriements - http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1012033.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
jpdicicco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Make sure when you go to do the install, that you use the embedded version of ESXi for installing to SD/CF.

Happy virtualizing!

JP

Happy virtualizing! JP Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.
0 Kudos
paulio1978
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Dave,

I will try this tommorow. The passwords were all over 8 chars so maybe this will solve it!

0 Kudos
paulio1978
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded "esxi 4.1 installable" and burned it to a cd (it was 300mb) then installed this on to the sd card. I thought this was the embedded version?

thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I thought this was the embedded version?

Embedded.. is the embedded version. Installable means you can install it on SD OR Local disk.

BTW there is NO such thing as a DELL version of ESX. It just means it has additional support tools to install, but you can install those tools AFTER ESX is installed.

0 Kudos
jpdicicco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

>BTW there is NO such thing as a DELL version of ESX. It just means it has additional support tools to install, but you can install those tools AFTER ESX is installed.

RParker- You are, of course, technically correct. The ESXi image offered on the Dell support site is just ESXi with the Dell CIM provider already installed. However, referring to it as the "Dell Version" is merely an indication that it was downloaded from and customized by Dell (with the CIM provider). This makes it the "Dell version" as they are the ones offering it and you are unlikely to find it offered for download by, say, HP.

Happy virtualizing!

JP

0 Kudos
paulio1978
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I thought Dell made their own version of ESXi?

Smiley Wink

I know its ESXi with the Dell management tools. I was just being lazy in my post. But I didnt know embedded was different from installable version so thanks guys.

0 Kudos