VMware Cloud Community
jacktotom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

esxi ntp

What happens if the wrong setting ntp ip address on esx host. for exaple 4 esxi has true ntp ip setting but one esxi ntp ip setting wrong ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The host will simply not be able to synchronize the time. If the host's time is off, be careful with adjusting the time to avoid issues with the VMs running on that host. If the time difference is small you may try to manually adjust the time by 2-3 minutes every couple of hours until the host has the correct time, and then enable NTP for the host. In case of large differences it's probably the easiest solution to evacuate the host - i.e. vMotion the VMs to other hosts - and then adjust the time on that host.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The host will simply not be able to synchronize the time. If the host's time is off, be careful with adjusting the time to avoid issues with the VMs running on that host. If the time difference is small you may try to manually adjust the time by 2-3 minutes every couple of hours until the host has the correct time, and then enable NTP for the host. In case of large differences it's probably the easiest solution to evacuate the host - i.e. vMotion the VMs to other hosts - and then adjust the time on that host.

André

0 Kudos
jacktotom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

also i have linux vm's and ntp config on vm's. if hosts' ntp setting wrong or disable . what will be ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As long as the VMs do not synchronize time with the hosts everything is fine. However, there are situations which trigger result in a host time synchronization, e.g. when powering on a VM, or by using vMotion. Depending on the guest OS and applications running in the VMs this may cause serious issue. Think of Kerberos authentication, or e.g. applications which rely on exact time stamps.

André

0 Kudos