VMware Cloud Community
manhalamer92
Contributor
Contributor

esxi not reading ssd intel dc P3600 series

I have server HP proliant dl380 gen9 with SSD from intel dc P3600 series but esxi just show it in adopters and not appear in storage itself, I tried to install windows server on same server and ssds show without any problem, I tried to install drivers from vmware website and also from intel but still same issue, any one can help me to solve this issue, FYI I tried both 6.7 version and 7.0 U3 and same issue

0 Kudos
13 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Do you have create a VMFS on one the card? If this wont work check if there are already partitions on! If so delete them.

We have tons of these Intel DC 3x00 and they work fine under ESXi 6.x,7.x. I have used both... VMware and Intel driver but only with the later you can use the Intel DataCenter tools and upgrade FW of the cards.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
I recommend you to update the HP DL380 Gen9 Server Firmware and finally the Intel SSD DC P3600 Series Firmware.

For example for Intel SSD DC P3600 Series SSDPEDME800G4 (800 GB, HHHL AIC) the minimum firmware must be 8DV101H0.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You first thread on this topic in an SDK area has been reported, expect it to be removed, and don’t create duplicates.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
bhaskarmano45
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Can you please check SSD visibility in BIOS and Create NON-RAID drive. By default all Storage Controller which required to select a DISK either RAID or NON-RAID.

Regards,

Bhaskar.

0 Kudos
manhalamer92
Contributor
Contributor

Dear this is my first time and didn't know about this 

0 Kudos
manhalamer92
Contributor
Contributor

Dear,

I can't use them even, just appear in adopters while when I changed to Windows server worked normally all appears, also I checked SSD storage and they are last version  

0 Kudos
manhalamer92
Contributor
Contributor

Dear,

I checked version and they are the last version already, also they worked normally on windows server

0 Kudos
manhalamer92
Contributor
Contributor

ssd just read like that

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
In the image of your last post, you can see the individual SSD disks, you do not see any Volume or Lun created with these disks, nor any RAID structure.

You must access the Bios/UEFI of the server to create a RAID (0,1 or 5) and then a volume or logical disk.

Another option is to use a tool from the manufacturer (Intel) to create the RAID and volume first.
I recommend you to install version 6.7.

Enrique Espinel
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
manhalamer92
Contributor
Contributor

Dear,

Thank you for your support, but also on HP bios ssd can't be control even can't create RAID for them, as you can see in picture it connect through adopter 

0 Kudos
manhalamer92
Contributor
Contributor

Dear,

also you can see this picture

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

check the following link:
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00077902en_us&docLocale=en_US#N10085

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

check link:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/ssd-software/Intel_VMD_...

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos