VMware Cloud Community
verto
Contributor
Contributor

esxi network

i have 5 hosts esxi 6.0 and 4x10 gbit nic. now i want to create best network desing. we want to use VMware vSphere Distributed Switch.

Also 2x10 gbit esxi management and virtual machine network ( they are same vlan id)

2x10 gbit vmotion network is good idea with VMware vSphere Distributed Switch. 

7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just a quick question. How do you connect to shared storage?

André

0 Kudos
verto
Contributor
Contributor

there are san switchs and fc cable ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In this case I'd consider to create a dvSwitch with all uplinks connected and let Network I/O control handle the bandwidth. vMotion has a default share of 50% so you shouldn't have any issues with the VMs network requirements. Dedicating 2x10GBit links to vMotion would be a waste in my opinion. Just make sure you separate the traffic in different VLANs.

André

0 Kudos
verto
Contributor
Contributor

what is your suggestion. can you share new desing ?

0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

You can do something like below.

Considering you 4*10GB Ethernet in each ESXi Host.

Connect two Ethernet cables to One Physical switch (01) and other two Ethernet cables to other Physical Switch (02)

On physical Switches, Create different VLANs for ESXi Management traffic, VLAN for vMotion Network ( keep it isolated), VLAN for FT and create different VLANs for Virtual Machine traffic based on your requirements.

Trunk all these VLANs on Switch Ports where ESXi Host Ethernet cables are connected.

Create dvSwitch in vCenter and add all 4 Ethernet to dvSwitch as uplink.

Create different PortGroups on dvswitch based on VLAN like, PortGroup for Management network, vMotion Network, Virtual Machine network....etc. make sure you add required VLAN tags in each PortGroup. ( except Native vlan )

While creating management or vMotion Vmkernel Portgroups on ESXi Host, select PortGroup of dvSwitch.

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks,

Haridas

Virtual Admin

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
verto
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for helping

also i have a question . i dont know about dvSwitch  . sorry for quesiton again. on standart switch there is a stand by and active for 2 x10 gbit . on dvSwitch I must make stand by and active senerio  or dvSwitch is working different reason ?

0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

On dvSwitch also you can make Active/Standby Adapter settings per PortGroup.

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos