VMware Cloud Community
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

esxi host serial number

i have esxi 6.5 u2 servers . some esxi server has same hardware serial number. i reset sensor reset explorer and chrome refresh but no change . why i see same serial number some on esxi hosts. Also my hardware is cisco ucs .

Also rvtools report is same . 4 esxi host serial numbers are the same ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

How are you retrieving the service tags? From the vCenter (or host) GUI or from the ESXi command line?

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

from vcenter . I am using chrome or internet explorer.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check if that serial number is of Chassis. This is known issue. Even in HP and Cisco, you will get this shown in vSphere web client and RVTools, the ESXI hosts shows the virtual serial number of chassis. Please use PowerCLI cmdlets or script something like Finding serial number of esxi hosts_powercli to get correct information.

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert

This is a known issue and is scheduled to be fixed in November (tentative) patch release.

Using powerCLI and running "esxcli hardware platform get" or "esxcfg-info"  on the ESXi host will show the correct Serial Number of the blade.

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

check from command line..

esxcfg-info

OR

smbiosdump

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi

Is there an official document on this issue?

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert

Not sure if there is any official document or KB regarding this issue.

0 Kudos