VMware Cloud Community
Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

esxi host access with vsphere client

Hi, 

ESXI 6.0.0
I have a problem accessing the esxi host with the vsphere client, it shows me the following message: <Call "ServiceInstance.RetrieveContent" for object "ServiceInstance" on Server "xx.xx.xx.xx" failed.> I can ping it. knowing that I just stopped this host to replace a RAM. Once started, I was able to access to check my VMS, but then the next day, suddenly, it is impossible for
me to access it!
How can i resolve this please.
Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thread reported, it seems like it should belong in a general vSphere area since you only mention the client and no SDK (where you posted the thread)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

sorry I'm new to vmware and didn't know where to post it

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Please indicate which exact build you are using.
Log into the ESXi host from an SSH (Putty) connection and run the command vmware -v or vmware -vl.

Verify the connection between you (PC) and the ESXi Host, changes in the firewall or Ethernet Switch.
Try to connect to the ESXi host (ip address) using a browser https://ip address

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
mbufkin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried to restart the host just to make sure the new RAM is not causing the issue?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Looks for me like ESXi isnt running well. You can try to restart the management services or hostd.

For shutting down your VMs you dont need a GUI... connect to ssh or work directly on the shell.

vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms

and

vim-cmd vmsvc/power.shutdown <VID>

to shutdown a VM or for a power off

vim-cmd vmsvc/power.off <VID>

The <vid> is listet in the first column.

Regards
Joerg

0 Kudos
Tewffik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks to all

IRIX201110141 ,mbufkin and e_espinel

really, ESXi isnt running well.

I plugged a monitor and keyboard into the esxi to get access to the console, but it was stuck
I was able to turn off in rdp some vms that were operational, unlike others
then I turned off the esxi by the power button

After I removed all the rams and I reinstalled them according to the dell poweredge r730 diagram
I booted the esxi and it detected all the rams, then continued to boot normally without error
I started all the vms without problems

Still wondering why this problem happened? knowing I installed the new ram in its exact location A5
if another RAM fails, should all the rams be disconnected and reconnected?

thank you very much for your contributions

0 Kudos