VMware Cloud Community
liusirjiayou
Contributor
Contributor

esxi cannot boot after updating to 6.7 u3! how to fix it?

esxi cannot boot after updating to 6.7 u3! how to fix it?

here is the error message "Shutting down firmware services... Page allocation error: Out of resources Failed to shutdown the boot services. Unrecoverable error"

QQ图片20190821135929.jpg

Tags (3)
70 Replies
TimMann
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Upgrade directly from 6.7u2 to the new patch in one step. Do not upgrade to 6.7u3 and then to the new patch as a second step.

superwolfboy
Contributor
Contributor

working now with now patch

0 Kudos
Himilou
Contributor
Contributor

HI All,

Brand new here ( as in about 1 hour Smiley Wink ) I have an HP machine that I would like to install Vsphere on. As an evaluation customer I do not appear to be able to download the U2 release. only the current U3 which wont boot. How can I apply the path to the Vshphere installation media so I can install it?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
TimMann
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just to be sure: did you try 6.7u3 on the HP machine and see the failure discussed in this thread? I haven't heard of the issue affecting an HP machine before, so just for our information, can you say what model it is, and the BIOS version?

As a development engineer, I'm not familiar with what we do and don't make available to evaluation customers or what support channels are available to them. I can try to find you some help, but if there is a support or sales support contact associated with your evaluation, that might be a better route. The best thing probably would be if support can let you run your evaluation with 6.7u2 for now.

6.7ep13 wasn't released with an ISO image; that's planned for the next regular patch (not express patch).

0 Kudos
Himilou
Contributor
Contributor

The machine is an HP z420 workstation Intel Xeon E5 1650V2 and 16G  ram.

bios version is J61 v03.86

multi-processor is enabled

hyperthreading is enabled ( this has to be enabled or hyper v will not install )

I copied the 6.7.u3 iso contents onto a usb drive and did a UEFI boot.

the machine loads some files and then displays the fatal error.

Just FYI I also used the exact same usb drive later and sucessfully installed onto a poweredge r710, UEFI enabled.

So as an evaluation user I

1) Cannot download 6.7 u2 as its not an allowed product for whatever reason

2) Cannot install 6.7 u3 because of the error.

3) am dead in the water Smiley Wink

( edit added bios version and some other settings which I forgot )

0 Kudos
TimMann
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Himilou: I've sent out some email internally to try to find who could help, perhaps by giving you access to 6.7u2.

In the meantime, you could try updating to the latest BIOS.  From HP Z420 Workstation Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support , I see the latest is 03.95 Rev A, dated Jul 1, 2019. That shouldn't hurt, but of course may not help.

0 Kudos
TimMann
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Himilou: Your machine isn't on our compatibility list (VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search ), so our evaluation program doesn't really apply. However, you can try the free version of vSphere at Free vSphere Hypervisor | VMware .  I checked, and if you register for the free version, you do get the option to download older releases like 6.7u2, not only 6.7u3. I hope that helps.

0 Kudos
xBr0k3n
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone know why the 6.7u3 image on the Hypervisor free page is still the one from 20/08/2019? Can only upgrade to 6.7u2....

0 Kudos
ciscoarun1
Contributor
Contributor

how to this issue

0 Kudos
Toasticuss
Contributor
Contributor

HP Z620 user here, just ran into this when trying to install: "Shutting down firmware services…" with a brand new ESXi 7.0 image. There was no other information on the screen, it just sat there until I turned off the machine. Surprised to see such a dumb and cryptic message on the screen with no effort to help me fix it. Sure enough, choosing my flash drive under the legacy boot section which is right below the UEFI USB boot option worked fine for installing.

0 Kudos
coldfix
Contributor
Contributor

Srsly? 7.0u3 2021-10-21 still the same problem, lenovo t440p

NO I DO NOT WANT TO USE THE OLD AS EARTH LEGACY MODE, THANK YOU A LOT

0 Kudos