VMware Cloud Community
liusirjiayou
Contributor
Contributor

esxi cannot boot after updating to 6.7 u3! how to fix it?

esxi cannot boot after updating to 6.7 u3! how to fix it?

here is the error message "Shutting down firmware services... Page allocation error: Out of resources Failed to shutdown the boot services. Unrecoverable error"

QQ图片20190821135929.jpg

Tags (3)
70 Replies
alphons
Contributor
Contributor

Booted (bios legacy mode) and updated to U3 succesfully.

Version: 6.7.0 Update 3 (Build 14320388)

Reboot, set bios in UEFI mode, same Error (again)

Reboot, set bios in Legacy mode, succes (6.7.0 Update 3 , Build 14320388)

---

We are one month away from the U3, in meantime no patches or fixes for booting in UEFI mode?

0 Kudos
VirDeVir
Contributor
Contributor

I have Asus P9D WS as my test lab server.

Booted (bios legacy mode) and updated to U3 successfully after updating bios to latest version 2402

0 Kudos
eric87m
Contributor
Contributor

Also just ran into this after a 6.7U1 to 6.7U3 update on a SuperMicro X9SCM-F motherboard. I just did a 6.7U2 update reinstall and bam, back in business. No extra steps needed.

0 Kudos
Protogen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you TimMann.

I have just successfully upgraded from 6.7 to 6.7u3 using your "Workaround option 2" (manually copying the 6.7u2 bootloader into the system partition to replace the 6.7u3 bootloader).  Followed your very good instructions - worked first time.  I am still booting UEFI on 6.7u3.

Motherboard: Supermicro A2SDi-16C-HLN4F.

0 Kudos
paulvill
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all  , I've been having exactly this problem on my DELL E7440 Notebook , (I know is unsupported but it is used only to host a Lab). After initial Upgrade to 6.7 U3 it failed to boot with the same error. While using installation cd/usb it failed to load yellow boot screen with the same error (right after loading kernel modules).

- disable UEFI / use only legacy boot (mandatory)

- no need to disable VT-d After above system is able to load 6.7 U3 without any problems. Luckily my C240 M4 with UEFI for vSAN were not haviny any issues.

[url=https://postimg.cc/bD7ZPS8M][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bD7ZPS8M/IMG-1327.jpg[/img][/url]

Testing ESX 6.7 on my dell E7440 , changed Boot to legacy and worked perect , thanks for sharing !

0 Kudos
paulvill
Contributor
Contributor

Got the same error , after installing in my Dell latitude E7440 for Lab testing  , got it working by swapping to legacy BIOS, I tried as well a few combinations of UEFI (no secure boot), UEFI with secure boot, and legacy BIOS, and the only work that works is legacy BIOS.

After changing I could boot the server, and then got the error again , so i have to reinstall , delete all partitions and now is working fine

0 Kudos
moneywise
Contributor
Contributor

We are one two month away from the U3, in meantime no patches or fixes for booting in UEFI mode?

XFIT
Contributor
Contributor

We are waiting for the patch. On the server SuperMicro X9DR3-F, ESXi 6.7.0 U3 only works in Legacy mode.

0 Kudos
superwolfboy
Contributor
Contributor

now almost three……

and 6.5 release one patch several days before.

but may server cannot be updated online.

0 Kudos
rzo1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

are there any updates related to an official fix?

We are stuck (with one host) on pre 6.7U3 as we cannot perform the upgrade due to the issues descriped in this thread.

I would appreciate any offical statement from VMWare related to this. Thanks

TimMann
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A patch release that includes a fix for this issue is coming soon.

0 Kudos
commander73
Contributor
Contributor

My company lost about $3000 cause of this bullsh*t.

You better should include that patch into that U3 iso file. If i would look for a virtualization solution and run into that... bye bye vmware.

But at least, if you come from U2 and run...

esxcli software profile update -p ESXi-6.7.0-20190802001-standard -d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml

..the patch will be included in the update?

0 Kudos
TimMann
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I said a patch that contains the fix is coming soon. That means it is not released yet, so no, you won't get the fix by upgrading to any currently released patch. Also the contents of already released patches or updates will not be retroactively changed. You will get the fix by upgrading to the patch that has the fix, when it is released. I can't give more details than that at this time.
0 Kudos
commander73
Contributor
Contributor

sorry,you didnt get me right.

just wanted to know, if this issue can be fixed (in future) by running the esxcli software profile update command on U2 or if its necessary to take hand on every esxi machine.

i think this will be the different to make us switch to a different solution.

i tried to fix this issue 6 hours on my own homelab (no legacy boot) and figured out that your solution with "refit" was kind of a blind shot.

last update for that was 2010 and ist mostly mentioned to mac os. Tried, didnt work.

0 Kudos
TimMann
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you update directly from 6.7u2 to the upcoming patch that contains the fix, you'll never have the buggy bootloader installed and will never boot with it. I think that was your question.

Of course, if you have a machine that's already suffering from the bug (upgraded to 6.7u3 and won't boot), obviously you have to do something by hand to get out of that state. The easiest ways are (1) if possible, boot in legacy BIOS mode, or (2) boot an installer ISO from an unaffected release and use the installer to upgrade to it. I believe the upcoming patch will include an installer ISO. Patch releases normally don't, but I requested one for this patch to make it easier, so that you don't have to downgrade to 6.7u2 using its ISO and then upgrade to the patch.

In the procedure I gave for running 6.7u3 in spite of the bug, I suggested rEFIt exactly because it's old. rEFInd is newer, but that's not necessarily better, as it comes with a new enough EFI shell that it won't work on machines that are too old. The procedure is complex and has pitfalls, so I'm not surprised some people who tried it didn't get it to work. Fortunately it won't be needed anymore as soon as the new patch is out.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Moderator Note:

commander73

I'd like to remind you of the VMware Community Participation Terms of Use, VMware Community (4. Conduct) to which you agreed!

0 Kudos
rzo1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tim,

thanks for your fast reply.

We are looking forward to here from you soon.

Best from Germany,

Richard

0 Kudos
TimMann
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMware ESXi 6.7, Patch Release ESXi670-201911001 is out today and inclues the fix for this issue.

0 Kudos
jjkeely
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Patch is up today FYI.

0 Kudos
liusirjiayou
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thank you very much for the response!

I’ve rolled back to u2. May I ask how to upgrade ESXi670-201911001 from u2?

U2 upgrades to u3 without rebooting, and then apply ESXi670-201911001 directly, after which rebooting is performed? If this process is not correct, could you please give some clue to upgrade u2 to ESXi670-201911001 u3?

Thanks!

0 Kudos