VMware Cloud Community
billd334
Contributor
Contributor

esxi 6.5 VM loses external network access a few minutes after booting

Greetings,

I have a VM running a UniFi controller to manage our UniFi network devices.   This was running on an old Windows VM that was always losing its network connection.  I had to reboot it before I could connect to the web interface to manage it.

I finally installed a new version of the controller on a Debian 11 VM.   On this one, within 10 minutes of booting, it also loses the network connection.   So, I tried another install, this time on Ubuntu 22.04 - same issue.

The VM can still ping any other VM, so VMware networking is still working.  The VM can no longer ping any external device, such as the internet gateway.

If I edit the VM (while it's running), remove the Network adapter, Save the settings, then edit it again, and re-add the network adapter, and save, then the VM will be back online - for a little while.

If anyone has any suggestions as to where I can look for the cause of this, I would appreciate it.

The other VMs on this host have no issues.

I'm volunteering as IT support for a school where they don't have a support contract, or I would ask Vmware.   

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Do you have there Standard switch or distributed? 

0 Kudos
billd334
Contributor
Contributor

Everything is on a standard vSwitch

0 Kudos
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does the issue happen to other VM?

Does it occur if the VM is on other hosts?

What type of vNIc is the VM using also what is your vSS set to for nic teaming?

0 Kudos
billd334
Contributor
Contributor

This does not happen to any other VMs on the host.

It's a single host, so I cannot test on another one.

The VM is using a VMXNET3 vNic, though I've also tried the E1000e and the same thing happened.

NIC Teaming is enabled on the vSwitch, with 2 physical adapters.

Thanks

0 Kudos