VMware Cloud Community
Guardian1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

esxi 5 vmkfstools, command line options, etc

I've not used this command set before, so just wanted to ask prior to testing.

There are a number of references to the writezeroes option and I've seen the command look like:

vmkfstools -writezeroes <datastore>

or

vmkfstools --writezeroes <datastore>

or

vmkfstools -w <datastore>

Which is the correct form for v5?

Also, if a vmdk file has been deleted, is there a way to tell it was and whether or not it was zeroed first before deleting?

I'm looking for some/any way to determine "if" a datastore was deleted and whether or not it was "zeroed".

Thx.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
haiiampc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1) When you delete "VMFS Datastore" - infact it does not do "Zero Fill"  or "Wipe out" Full data bits on "Datastore"

2) You have 100% chance of recreating the same datastore (by recreating metadata & partition Geometry) - URL below recovers delted VMFS

www.demitasse.co.nz/wordpress2/2009/08/recovering-a-deleted-vmfs-datastore/

3) vmkfstools (having two sections a) VMFS files systems options b) VMDK disks commands for VM not (not VMFS commands)

the one you are referring "-w --writezeros" --> are not related to VMFS Filesystem commands (only  limited VMDK disks of VM's)

4) Hence If you are looking at "Sensitivity of data like classified data" --> "-w --writezeros" --> will not help you

you need to do below to destroy the Data on "VMFS filesystem i.e Datastore" (even after deleting VMFS from VC)

CLI Method - vmkfstools -C vmfs3 -b 1m -S my_vmfs /vmfs/devices/disks/vml.vml_ID:1
GUI Method - Select ESX host on vSphere Client -> Configuration tab - Storage -> Add storage ->
choose the LUN ID you intend to destroy (be careful - this will destroy existing data on LU

Regards - Purna

Hope it helps --> Award points as appropriate "by choosing helpful or correct"

If it helps --> Please award points - as appropriate - "Correct" or "Helpful"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
haiiampc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1) When you delete "VMFS Datastore" - infact it does not do "Zero Fill"  or "Wipe out" Full data bits on "Datastore"

2) You have 100% chance of recreating the same datastore (by recreating metadata & partition Geometry) - URL below recovers delted VMFS

www.demitasse.co.nz/wordpress2/2009/08/recovering-a-deleted-vmfs-datastore/

3) vmkfstools (having two sections a) VMFS files systems options b) VMDK disks commands for VM not (not VMFS commands)

the one you are referring "-w --writezeros" --> are not related to VMFS Filesystem commands (only  limited VMDK disks of VM's)

4) Hence If you are looking at "Sensitivity of data like classified data" --> "-w --writezeros" --> will not help you

you need to do below to destroy the Data on "VMFS filesystem i.e Datastore" (even after deleting VMFS from VC)

CLI Method - vmkfstools -C vmfs3 -b 1m -S my_vmfs /vmfs/devices/disks/vml.vml_ID:1
GUI Method - Select ESX host on vSphere Client -> Configuration tab - Storage -> Add storage ->
choose the LUN ID you intend to destroy (be careful - this will destroy existing data on LU

Regards - Purna

Hope it helps --> Award points as appropriate "by choosing helpful or correct"

If it helps --> Please award points - as appropriate - "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you want to find out if a vmdk was deleted manually with rm or something like that - search for a shell log in the VMFS header area.
I am not sure whether there is one in all cases but I have found one several times - if there is one it is hidden from peeking eyes.

If you just want to wipe a vmdk run

dd if=/dev/zero of=/vmfs/volumes/datastore/directory/vmdk.vmdk
and after that
rm /vmfs/volumes/datastore/directory/vmdk.vmdk

If you want to wipe a datastore delete it first then wipe the LUN with dd