VMware Cloud Community
Skenzin
Contributor
Contributor

esxi 5.5 u2; hypervisor hard restarts when an instance restarts! strange!

Performed an upgrade from 5.1 to 5.5u2 using Lenovo customized builds. Had no issues until this. Using the vsphere 6.0 win32 client to do Windows maintenance, using the console tab,  on several VMs we noticed that these hard restarts of the entire esxi server corresponded to restarting a windows instance running on the server. I know how insane that sounds. The management usersof the esxi are not tied to AD or windows accounts, still using root/password only. It still could be an insane coincidence, but when two separate servers were restarted (START button restart) the esxi server did a hard restart at the same time and has never done before or since. I can't find any info on this and now im scared to touch those servers during business hours. Also wondering if at this point I take them to version 6.     

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mcrape
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK ... that is odd.

Have you checked out the hostd.log and vmware.log files? It would be interesting to see if there is anything in either of those to indicate a cause.

You can find out more info about the log files here if you need it: vSphere Documentation Center

0 Kudos