VMware Cloud Community
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

esxi 5.5, VMFS 5 datastore / vmdk size question

Trying to verify I understand the vmdk size limitation for esxi 5.5.

If I have an existing VMFS 5 datastore on my esxi 5.0 hosts, once I upgrade my hosts to esxi 5.5 I should then be able to have vm's with vmdk's larger than 2tb?

I don't have to create new VMFS 5 datastores after the upgrade to esxi5.5 to take advanrage of the file size limit change?

Thanks for any help.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's correct, at least partly. In addition to upgrading the host you also need to upgrade the VM's hardware version (Compatibility Mode) to take advantage of larger virtual disks (up to ~62TB). However, always keep in mind the time required to restore the whole virtual disk in case it's required. With 1 GBit/s - assuming you have the full bandwidth available - 2TB will already require more than 5 hours! So maybe organizing the data in multiple virtual disks might be a better solution.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's correct, at least partly. In addition to upgrading the host you also need to upgrade the VM's hardware version (Compatibility Mode) to take advantage of larger virtual disks (up to ~62TB). However, always keep in mind the time required to restore the whole virtual disk in case it's required. With 1 GBit/s - assuming you have the full bandwidth available - 2TB will already require more than 5 hours! So maybe organizing the data in multiple virtual disks might be a better solution.

André

0 Kudos
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the details Andre.

I agree larger volumes aren't ideal, but we have a large in house graphics shop, and sometimes trying to split up all the volumes to stay under 1-2tb becomes more administration then giving them some extra room to grow.

Kevin

0 Kudos