VMware Cloud Community
Erg0m3t3r
Contributor
Contributor

esxi 5.1 updates - downloaded with a different account

hi,

with an old account (last used 5 years ago) I got  ESX 5.1 and  kept it up and running for 5 years on an old 6 core AMD Phenom platform, then mainboard was dead, I bought a new one, had to reinstall ESX 5.1 and ended up with a 60 day trial till I find my old license key, login information etc but in the meantime company name changed, email acount changed, no backups etc

Now I should investigate in Horizon View 7, got a trial license for that too and now it misses some ESX features. Looking into the release notes it says the ESX box has a build number 77xxyy which is basically ESX 5.1 without any updates. However Horizon view likes to have update 2 for supporting some accelleration features vital for VDI

And there we go... I once signed up with my new account at VMware for ESXi 6 and 6.5 with my new account (company name changed the last 5 years), have license keys for the free thing and can download updates, but just for these. So far ESXi 5.5 and 6 have some issues with my whitebox I like to keep the 5.1 up and running.

Is there a way to obtain a free license for esxi 5.1 although it seems to be out of life now?

With my current account the  regular ESX 5.1 updates I can't download... why? It was free so why the downloads are restricted?

The custom roms for 5.1 are available even in update 3 level, and I can access all of  patches for esxi.

So question is:

- can I build the level of esx 5.1 update 2 by applying the publically available patches by applying all patches since the build number is > 2.xxx.yyy?

- is there a way to obtain the update 2 or 3 legally? I feel if I find my old username and pwd I could do so but not if I never registered for it so the download area is grayed out.

- what might happen if I do the update from a custom rom?

That what I know from updating the 5.5 / 6.0 evaluations is that there is an iso file that has an install / upgrade mode but the custom roms have some special mods for the mentioned hardware, e.g. for the Fujitsu workstations...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

If your 5.1 had valid licence key and subscription , you can reach vmware support team to help on this . You can give old details  and they may add new mail address .

May be  they need approval from licence owner (mail or call ) .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
Erg0m3t3r
Contributor
Contributor

I digged little bit deeper into the VMware licensing policies used in the past... after registering for a free product I am entitled to download relatedstuff in the trial period only.

In consequence that means I can't get any more stuff for ESXi 5.1... doens't help me to recover my old account and the keys associated with it.

However I could go to to the patches and apply one after another by a command line.

Same way as Citrix treats Xenserver evaluators, they have to apply patches by command line too.

Maybe we go for the 200$ evaluator's plan which is offered by VMware

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

HI ,

If you had old account information to login it is possible .

As i mentioned above , share your old account details  (account number / use rid associated with that )  to vmware team they can help you .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos