VMware Cloud Community
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

esxi 5.1 install problem on LSI 9240-8i: loading module megaraid_sas

It hangs on loading module megaraid_sas for a very long time and it didn't pass.

Any ideas?

IMG_0005.JPG

LSI 9240-8i  (2 750GB RAID 1,   4 4TB raid 5)

Thanks

Jason

0 Kudos
26 Replies
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dave, I tried esxi 5.0 and it's the same thing. I still can't see the drives from the RAID controller.

Is there a way I can manually load the new driver from LSI? (During the installation or before it?)

VMWare 4.x - 5.5
VMWare Drivers
Version: 6.505.09.00
Size: 199.8K
Language: English
VMWare 4.xJan 08, 2013File type: tgzhttp://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/MegaRAID%20Common%20Files/MR_VMWare4_DRIVER-6.505.09.00.tgz
0 Kudos
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

Also I found this reply from here, what your suggestion now?

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2203961#2203961

3. Feb 5, 2012 7:35 PM in response to: ackerman76a
Re: ESXi 5 does not see LSI 9240-8i at all

No matter what settings and BIOS version, Ubuntu, XenServer 6 and Windows 2008R2 had zero problems seeing and installing to the storage adapters I had.

LSI 9260-8i

LSI 9240-8i

Dell Perc H200

Stupid ESXi 5 is a pain!  Very sensitive.  I either got no storage adapter visible, or ESXi installer would freeze at loading megaraid_sas module.

I can see why everyone is staying with 4.1.  Wise decision.

I finally got it to work after loading and old motherboard BIOS.  Days of my life I will never get back.  My info is posted as reply on hard forum com with thread titled Supermicro X9SCM-F and VMWare.

Good luck

0 Kudos
peterlyttle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I also had a few issues with my 9240-8i.  I have an Intel RES2SV240 expander on it though (its on LSIs approved list).

Have you ever had to do a reconstruction on the Raid5 volume?  I had a 3 disk Raid5 and added two disks and its taken a week to do 25% of a reconstruction!!!

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

I see on that screen "Can not load module megaraid_sas: module is already loaded". This imho is not a good idea (to force reloading of driver which is already loaded). Instead of that customise your esxi-image (http://www.v-front.de/p/esxi-customizer.html). It has probably older version of megaraid_sas driver, so throw it away from esxi installation image and substitute it with the latest one you download from LSI-webpage.

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

My problem has been resolved after I upgrade the bios of my motherboard. (also updated LSI raid controller firmware)

And FOR RAID 5, 9240-8i is not a good card RAID 5 speed is very slow and I plan to either get a new card or build a raid 10 disks,

as I googled 9240-8i has no cache so if you us RAID 5 it will be a bad idea.

0 Kudos
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

It has been resolved after I upgrade the bios of my mother board.

0 Kudos
sundgeo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.. i have the same problem on IBM server x3650 M4. How you solved it? 

0 Kudos