VMware Cloud Community
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

esxi 5.1 install problem on LSI 9240-8i: loading module megaraid_sas

It hangs on loading module megaraid_sas for a very long time and it didn't pass.

Any ideas?

IMG_0005.JPG

LSI 9240-8i  (2 750GB RAID 1,   4 4TB raid 5)

Thanks

Jason

0 Kudos
26 Replies
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

OK after I switch to another PCI port I can pass that, but I can't see the drives (only saw my USB with esxi installation media.), is this a driver problem?

2.jpg

Here is the RAID controller information:

0.jpg

1.jpg

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you have 5.0 around you might want to try it.   The driver was updated with 5.0 Update1 (and is still at that version for 5.1).

Press ALT+F1 when you get stopped in the install process to access the console.  If you run lspci -p  do you see the controller listed (with a driver listed in the module column)?

0 Kudos
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply

Press ALT+F1 when you get stopped in the install process to access the console.  If you run lspci -p  do you see the controller listed (with a driver listed in the module column)?

Sorry this is my first time to install esxi

for me I can't see the harddisks here.

Can I press alt+F1 here? and run lspci -p ?

I am at home now, I will try it tomorrow, and you suggest me install esxi 5.0? I don't have it, is there a link to download? (and do you think the older version will be better than 5.1?)

2.jpg

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

At that point in the install you could press ALT+F1 to access the console.

I looked at the HCL and the driver with 5.0 is one version down from the 5.0U1+ driver.  It might make the difference.  But getting to the console will reveal if the driver is loading or if there is some other issue.  Are you using vSphere Hypervisor licensing,   Are you using eval licensing or free vSphere Hypervisor licensing?  It won't impact the install media, but just where you can get it from.

0 Kudos
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

I think it's the free one, but I got a license key from email (First time install and haven't use that)

I downloaded this one.

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/overview.html

And I will do "ALT+F1 when you get stopped in the install process to access the console.  If you run lspci -p" and send a screen shot tomorrow.

And LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i is in the HCL.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=12371&deviceCat...

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you follow the link you posted for vSphere Hypervisor on the download page you'll see a link for 5.0 near the bottom.  Have you updated the firmware of the controller?

0 Kudos
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't done that, how could I upgrade the firmware? Do I have to do that in os(win/linux?)

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Windows / Linux / DOS (or VMware).   You can get the firmware here and the MegaCLI tool to install the update - http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/storagecomponents/Pages/MegaRAIDSAS9240-8i.aspx.

0 Kudos
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! I will try it.

0 Kudos
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dave, I try to access the it from ALT+F1, but it ask me for login username and password.

I didn't set the username and password.

Any idea?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

root with no password.

0 Kudos
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

I guess it's not listed here right?

IMG_0009.JPG

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I'd take a look at /var/log/vmkernel.log for any errors related to the driver.  The image you posted shows that the device is recognized, but the  driver couldn't be loaded for it.

In the attached image you can see that I've tried to manually load a driver with the command vmkload_mod.   Then I'm looking at vmkernel.log for error messages.

driver.jpg

0 Kudos
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

OK so I will load  the driver megaraid2 or megaraid_sas?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The SAS driver - I was just using a driver in my example that would fail.

0 Kudos
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

any idea about this? Please click the image if you can't read clealery. I took it by my cell phone.

1.jpg

2.jpg

0 Kudos
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

I have updated the firmware to the latestet version, but still can't see the drives. Any ideas? (see the screen shot) 

MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i

Current Firmware Package:     20.10.1-0126  (Merged)
Firmware 2.130.374-2023

1.jpg

Do you want me try 5.0 then?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Probably worth it to see if the driver is the problem.  Does the card work OK with another OS?

0 Kudos
zelda110
Contributor
Contributor

After I inatlled the RAID controller driver I can see the drives in windows.

I will download esxi 5.0 and see if it will work.

Thanks

IMG_0016.JPG

0 Kudos