VMware Cloud Community
srivard
Contributor
Contributor

esxconsole.vmdk too big

Hello,

I had made a 9GB partition for ESX install and and now i am getting error about my partition beeing full... Is it normal to get this big and will it grow?

Waht should i do, move it to another data store?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

By default esxconsole.vmdk have 8GB.

Check out this discussion. Might can help http://communities.vmware.com/thread/219626

This kb descrive disk space and what archive you can delete to get more space available http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100356...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
srivard
Contributor
Contributor

Well it is not helping mutch since it is for 3.5 and i have 4.1

Can I move it?

Do I need it, I figured that I do need it.

Can I leave it there and will it grow and is it bad to have little space left?

Sébastien

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Witch ESX 3.5 there is not an esxconsole.vmdk but seperate Linux partitions - /,/boot,.varlog,swap,vmkcore and a VMFS partition - it sounds mor than likely you / partition is filled - I would login via console to take a look at the / partion and remove any log files -

Check out page 88 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_installation_guide.pdf for more information

Also move3d to correct forum for ESX 3.5

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

There is confusion here since you have posted in the ESX 3.5 forum but mention 4.1 Let us make sure that you have ESX 4.1 and not 3.5. If this is 4.1 then we can move it to the correct location and respond appropriately.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I believe the confusion is mine - please confirm if you are using 4.1 and your post will be moved back - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

One quick question.

You mentioned "I had made a 9GB partition for ESX install" in your first post. Assuming this is a 9GB logical volume rather than a partition, is there any reason why you want to install ESX instead of ESXi? ESXi requires far less disk space (~5GB).

André

0 Kudos
srivard
Contributor
Contributor

Yes 4.1 sorry if i posted to the wrong place, how to move it?

Sébastien

Message was edited by: a.p. - removed email details

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

No worries I moved it back to where i should be - and ignore  my past as I thought it was a 3.5 question - 

0 Kudos
srivard
Contributor
Contributor

Yes 4.1

Sébastien

Message was edited by: a.p. - removed email details

0 Kudos
srivard
Contributor
Contributor

Well i tough i needed ESX to ad the function i needed, but is the ESXI the same without the console?

Can i simply just put the ESI CD in and do a installation and will it keep the datastore with my vm?

If i want to stay this way (since it is a remote site )

Can I move it?

Do i need it, I figured that I do need it.

Can i leave it there and will it grow and is it bad to have little space left? (600MB free out of 10GB with a 8.75 esxconsole,vmdk

Sébastien

0 Kudos
srivard
Contributor
Contributor

Any thought?

Thanks

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

If you install ESXi , it will wipe out the local datastore. (all local datastore vms will be gone)

Cos vmdk you can not increase in size.

What type of partition you require??

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
srivard
Contributor
Contributor

Well, what I would like to know is if the COS is going to grow.

The partition is about 10gb the cos about 8gb plus the esx, I have about 600mb left.

Can i leave it that way or am i going to get in trouble in the future.

Sébastien

0 Kudos
srivard
Contributor
Contributor

I re-installed esxI o top of the installation and all i had to do is re-configure my setting (maybe i could of export/import)

0 Kudos