VMware Cloud Community
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

esxcli - module parameters in kickstart script do not apply

I am deploying about a dozen ESXi servers using a kickstart script.  I am attempting to set one of the parameters for the qla2xxx driver, in the firstboot section of the script, as follows:

FirstBoot Script
%firstboot --interpreter=busybox

## Enter Maintenance Mode
vim-cmd hostsvc/maintenance_mode_enter 

############################################
####### Install/Configure Drivers ##########

## Install QLogic HBA driver for FC-FCoE Adapter
esxcli software vib install -d http://x.x.x.x:yy/Drivers/vib/qla2xxx-934.5.6.0-offline_bundle-887798

## Disable MSX-I Interrupts on FCoE adapter - workaround for errant, repetitive FC initiator logins seen by NetApp
esxcli system module parameters set -m qla2xxx -p "ql2xenablemsix=0"

####### End Install/Configure Drivers #######
#############################################

In this section of my script, I am installing the latest VMware supported qla2xxx driver vib, and the trying to set the "ql2xenablemsix" parameter.  The module installs successfully, but when the esxcli command for setting the parameter is run, parameter is either never set, or it does get set but does not persist after the reboot.  I don't have a log to go by to know for certain which is happening.  I can enter the exact same esxcli command on the shell after the last kickstart reboot, and it applies successfully and persists. 

Any ideas on how to get this setting to apply would be appreciated.  I have been applying it across the hosts using a host profile, but I'd rather get it working in kickstart, since this the only change that requires a reboot when I apply my host profile to the host.

Thanks in advance

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

bump

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

I have figured out why this does not work.   I install the module via VIB, but the module is not available until next boot.  So when I try to change the module option, it errored out.  I didn't see this logged, but when I manually ran these commands after the first boot of a manual install of ESXi, it generated an error.

There doesn't appear to be a way to install a module and subsequently set an option using a scripted install, if the module requires a reboot first.

0 Kudos
badmodofinga
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos