VMware Cloud Community
checoturco
Contributor
Contributor

esxcfg-firewall command out put

Hello all,

I have some questions regarding the  esxcfg-firewall if it´s allowed to me put make some questions in the same post.

When i run the command esxcfg-firewall command, i have the information

Neither incoming nor outgoing ports blocked by default.

Enable services: CIxxxx Vxxx xxxxxxpsserver xxxxxxxxx Lxxxxxxx  sshServer  (xxxxxxx replaced).

Opened ports:

<empty>

I assume that this is the low security of the server.

1. If i run the command esxcfg-firewall  --blockIncoming --blockOutgoing i will configure the firewall with the hight severity which is my purpose.

With this command i imagine that the ports opened by default will be still opened for the services which use them, i mean the default services opened by default, this is correct?

2. How can i know which ports are being used by these "Enable default services"? the command esxcfg-firewall -q <service> just says "service enable".

Because as a mentioned before, now the Opened ports information is empty.

The command which shows all the services and ports opened after the high severity configuration have being loaded.

3 I saw in some previous posts regarding this thema that the command esxcfg-firewall -q cmd shows some usefull information but this command doesn´t works in my server.

4. On the  http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_server_config.pdf, on page 239 says that only ports 902, 443, 80 and 22 are opened by default with high severity configuration, and what about all the Enable services which i mentioned in the begining 1? which ports they use?

I'm sorry for the long post.

Many thanks

Checo.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Checo, no problem with multiple questions.  You've posted in the ESXi forum, but you appear to be using ESX.  Which version are you using?  We'll move your post to the appropriate forum for the best response. Dave User Moderator

0 Kudos