ESXi

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

esxBasic license type confusion

• 1.  esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 13, 2011 09:33 AM

I've recently installed the esxi 4.1 hypervisor believing it to be the free version (I've checked the link that VMware sent me and it DOES say click here to download free version), now when I fire up VMware Go to manage the host it says license type esxBasic, license will expire on 27/2/11.

I want to release the server into the live environment but can't do that if the hypervisor is about to expire.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Have I somehow got hold of the wrong version of esxi?

Richard

• 2.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 13, 2011 09:58 AM

A default installation of ESXi puts the server into a 60 day eval of ESXi Enterprise Plus.  You'll have received a serial number when you signed up to download ESXi.  Go to the Configuration Tab, click Licensed Features and enter the serial number to put the server into ESXi free mode.

• 3.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 13, 2011 11:17 AM

Thanks Dave, I'm sure I entered the key already though maybe it wasn't accepted for some reason.  I think I did this through the trial of vSpere I also downloaded.  I'm not sure 'Go' has a configuration tab - darned if I can find one.

• 4.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 13, 2011 11:45 AM

Just checked and I had entered the key previously. (screenshot1) But 'Go' still says otherwise. Screenshot2.

• 5.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 13, 2011 10:58 AM

Go to VMware.com => products=> choose ESXi=> cloick on Free Download Now => login=> then you see the license, this license is just for you and registered just for you.

Then go to ESXi Host with vSphere Client, Configuration Tab of host, Licensed Features, then edit and add the License, then you see the features become less but the license never expires.

If it is helpful, would u please mark it as "Helpful" or "Correct"?

Thank u

Saman

• 6.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 13, 2011 11:07 AM

samansalehi is right, you will just need to register for a free key and you get permanent key. https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/index.php?p=free-esxi&lp=1

• 7.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 13, 2011 11:49 AM

I did this but 'Go' says otherwise.  I'm concerned because when my vSphere trial expires I want to use 'Go' to manage the virtual environment.

• 8.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 13, 2011 11:22 AM

Thanks but when I go into Configuration > Licenses Features it already shows Product: vSphere 4 Hypervisor Licensed for 1 physical CPUs, Expire Never. Nevertheless 'Go' still tells me that I've got esxBasic and that it will expire.

• 9.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 13, 2011 11:26 AM

maybe it is better to try my license, i send it to u as email, please check that my license work or not?

If it is helpful, would u please mark it as "Helpful" or "Correct"?

Thank u

Saman

• 10.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 13, 2011 11:43 AM

I think my license key has been accepted. (See screenshot1) But 'Go' still says I have esxBasic and it will expire. (screenshot2)

• 11.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 13, 2011 12:09 PM

Dear friend,

Did you use the license before on another host and connect it to VMware GO?

I assume that:

VMware GO not support ESXI free or as you use it before, it is expire for vmware go.

I create a discussion on VMware GO Community: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/298894

Maybe it is useful.

• 12.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 13, 2011 12:29 PM

Hi Sama,

this is the first time I used this license.  Maybe you are right and 'Go' doesn't work with esxi free edition.  I'll follow your  discussion with interest.

Richard

• 13.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 14, 2011 08:55 AM

The ESXi free edition (VMware vSphere Hypervisor) is supported with VMware Go. What is the difference between VMware ESXi and VMware vSphere Hypervisor? VMware vSphere Hypervisor is the new name for what was formerly known as VMware ESXi Single Server or free ESXi (often abbreviated to simply “VMware ESXi”). VMware vSphere Hypervisor is the free edition of the vSphere production line. It is licensed to only unlock the hypervisor functionality of vSphere, but it can be seamlessly upgraded to more advanced offerings of VMware vSphere. VMware vSphere is available in multiple editions including several options specifically designed for small businesses. What versions of VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) are supported? VMware ESXi Single Server 4.0 and VMware vSphere Hypervisor 4.1 are supported by VMware Go. http://www.vmware.com/products/go/faq.html

• 14.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 14, 2011 09:47 AM

Thank u dave

• 15.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 14, 2011 10:39 AM

Thanks Dave, useful comments though I still have my original conundrum. Why does 'Go' say my hypervisor license has expired after the vSphere Client has happily accepted my esxi license key? My key concern being - will my hypervisor function after the expiry date that 'Go' advises me of ?

Richard

• 16.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 14, 2011 06:13 PM

The answer to this is actually in the FAQ's:

I've applied my free VMware vSphere Hypervisor license to my Hypervisor but the configuration page still shows a license expiration date. Is my Hypervisor about to expire?

No, although you have applied your free ESXi license, the vSphere Hypervisor still has some days left using the fully featured evaluation. When the evaluation expires, the vSphere Hypervisor will revert to the free ESXi license. [https://go.vmware.com/faqs.aspx]

Hope this helps.

• 17.  RE: esxBasic license type confusion

Posted Jan 17, 2011 11:47 AM

Thanks Adam.   Hopefully this applies to my issue, though in my case vSphere reports the license as fine - it's just 'Go' that is being contrary.  Also no mention of esxBasic anywhere that I can see.  Guess I just have to wait to see what happens at the expiry date!

Richard