VMware Cloud Community
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

esx 5.1 phys switch

helo, i am new to this world.

i want to connect one esx 5.1 and one with win 2008 r2 with hp procurve 2800 series.what can i do to connect with switch.configure the switch  ?because i cannot see esx through windows when they are with the switch connected.when they are connected point to point it works.what should i do in switch configuration to work this configuration?

thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

johnxgr wrote:

hp switch has not any configuration.they are all default and resetted.

Are you sure that the HP switch does not have any configuration? Could you connect through the serial cable or telnet and do a "show run" and paste the result here?

When you attach the physical cables, do you get link on the switch? Most HP switches does automatically fix straight / crossed TP cables, so it should not be the issue, but just to be sure.

johnxgr wrote:

so i have to configure vswitch and then i can connect esx with hp switch?

The default vSwitch configuration on a new ESXi host should be enough for you to connect to any physical switch. If you are able to reach the host with vSphere Client when directly attached it should be enough.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi

You will need to ensure the switch ports you are using are on the same Vlan and that your windows server and ESX server (managment network) have been configured with an IP address that is on the same subnet.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Usually you don't need to configure the physical switch unless you are using VLAN:s.

Did you setup the vSwitch already?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i am connected with esx only in point to point mgmt network.for example 192.168.0.20 mgmt.vswitch?

the switch hasn´t got vlans.i just connect the cable in the switch.. win 2008 and esx in switch but i cannot ping through it.they are on the same subnet.192.168.0.x.

should i do any configuration in vSwitch in esx?

is it normal?

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

johnxgr wrote:

win 2008 and esx in switch but i cannot ping through it.they are on the same subnet.192.168.0.x.

If I do understand your situation then you have network connectivity between a physical Windows server and a ESXi host when they are directly connected with a network cable, but lose the connection when you put a physical switch between them?

If that in fact is the case then the ESXi host vSwitch and Management vmkernel seems to have at least minimal configuration needed for having network access.

The HP 2800 switch you have, do this device have any configuration already? For what we know it might be some old configuration left behind, e.g. VLAN, port security, 802.1X or some other config not suitable for these two hosts.

0 Kudos
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes i cant connect through switch with esx and windows 2008.i have installed vsphere client and i coonect with esx.hp switch has not any configuration.they are all default and resetted.so i have to configure vswitch and then i can connect esx with hp switch?

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

johnxgr wrote:

hp switch has not any configuration.they are all default and resetted.

Are you sure that the HP switch does not have any configuration? Could you connect through the serial cable or telnet and do a "show run" and paste the result here?

When you attach the physical cables, do you get link on the switch? Most HP switches does automatically fix straight / crossed TP cables, so it should not be the issue, but just to be sure.

johnxgr wrote:

so i have to configure vswitch and then i can connect esx with hp switch?

The default vSwitch configuration on a new ESXi host should be enough for you to connect to any physical switch. If you are able to reach the host with vSphere Client when directly attached it should be enough.

0 Kudos
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

the switch hat only default vlan.after when i configure the vswitch i can connect the host to the physical switch?

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

johnxgr wrote:

after when i configure the vswitch i can connect the host to the physical switch?

You should not have to do any configuration on the default vSwitch to be able to connect it to a physical default switch.

Have you done any changes in the ESXi networking? Have you set any VLAN on the Management portgroup or similar?

Could you connect the ESXi host directly to the Windows Server and then post a screenshot here of the Networking tab in the vSphere Client.

0 Kudos
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

only default primary vln in hp switch.that means that every port on  that is connected to the hp switch can connect.but it is not working!

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Nothing looks strange on the ESXi host configuration.

Do you have a serial or telnet session to the switch? Do you have an IP address configured on the HP switch?

Could you connect the cables and do a "show interface" and paste the result?

Have you tried connecting the physical cables to different ports on the switch, just to rule out that some port is broken?

0 Kudos
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hp swith ip is 192.168.0.251.same subnet so nowhere is the problem.

if i create vlans in hp switch should be the same for example vlan 30 the same number as in vswitch?

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

johnxgr wrote:

hp swith ip is 192.168.0.251.same subnet so nowhere is the problem.

Could you from the Windows Server ping the switch IP?

Could you from the ESXi shell ping the switch IP?

Could you from the switch CLI ping either of the host or the server?

Does the "show interface" display that the ports are up and working?

johnxgr wrote:

if i create vlans in hp switch should be the same for example vlan 30 the same number as in vswitch?

If you create VLANs on the HP switch and add the ESXi port to the new VLAN as "tagged" then you must set the same VLAN id on the Management portgroup. However, since you say you have no VLAN configuration done at the physical switch at the moment there should be no reason to implement it now if basic access is missing.

johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i can ping from windows the switch

from switch  i tried to ping with esx and it is ok.in hp web access the leds are green

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

So when the ESXi host and the Windows server are connected to the switch you can ping from switch to ESXi and from Windows to switch?

But you can not ping Windows to ESXi?

That is actually very strange. Do you have any other devices attached to this HP switch?

0 Kudos
johnxgr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok i have found it.in default vlan in hp switch some ports were tagged.and i have esx and windows in untagged port and it works.thanks for the help!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

johnxgr wrote:

ok i have found it. in default vlan in hp switch some ports were tagged.and i have esx and windows in untagged port and it works. thanks for the help!! Smiley Happy

That was the reason asking for the "show run" configuration. Smiley Happy

Nice that you got it to work!

0 Kudos