VMware Cloud Community
thenbheer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

error upgrading esxi 6.7 to 7.02 iso

good day,

Missing_dependency_vibs error : found QLogic_bootbank_scsi-bfa_3.2.5.0-OEM.550.0.0.1331820 these vibs on the host are missing dependency if continue to upgrade.Removed these vibs before upgrade or use Image Builder to resolve this missing dependency issue.

encountered error trying to upgrade esxi 6.7 to 7.0 using hpe custom image latest from hpe....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thats an easy fix.....  if you watch carefully to the version info of that particular driver you will take notice "550" which referres to ESXi 5.5.0. So it a very old driver und maybe there is no successor available.  ESXi 7 uses a new driver interface which means all old VMKlinux b based drivers needs to be rewritten which leaves support for some devices behind.

esxcli software vib list | grep -i ql  or "550" and than watch the first column to get the VIBNAME
esxcli software vib remove -n <VIBNAME>

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Isn't 7.0.2 one of the builds that should be rather avoided ?
Why you want to leave 6.7 at all ?

Ulli

0 Kudos
thenbheer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

good day sir,

thanks for the reply,

Isn't 7.0.2 one of the builds that should be rather avoided?

-newbie here, sorry not aware of it, can you sir enlighten me somehow. . . 7.02 and 7.03 are the latest hpe custom images released, and we always use iso from hpe for upgrading.

Why you want to leave 6.7 at all ?

-it's one of the requirements of our client that needed to comply after scanning for vulnerabilities upgrading esxi is one of their recommended resolutions.

cheers,

0 Kudos
thenbheer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello, 

does anyone encounter the same issue as this one, other solutions, or workaround for 6.7 to 7.0X?

any recommendation is appreciated very much 

cheers,

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thats an easy fix.....  if you watch carefully to the version info of that particular driver you will take notice "550" which referres to ESXi 5.5.0. So it a very old driver und maybe there is no successor available.  ESXi 7 uses a new driver interface which means all old VMKlinux b based drivers needs to be rewritten which leaves support for some devices behind.

esxcli software vib list | grep -i ql  or "550" and than watch the first column to get the VIBNAME
esxcli software vib remove -n <VIBNAME>

Regards,
Joerg

pashnal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi , 

Cau you try command line upgrade using the below commands . 

1. download the zip file from HPE for 7.x version 

2. Run the below command to get the profiles . 

esxcli software sources profile list -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/hpecoustomimage.zip

3. Run the below command to upgrade with "force" 

esxcli software profile update -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/hpecoustomimage.zip -p Listedprofile -f

Pramod Ashnal 

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Solution Provided" "Correct" or "Helpful".

0 Kudos
thenbheer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sorry for the late reply,

this works for me, couldn't find it anywhere after running esxcfg-info | less just to double-check if it is in use. then removed the vib and rebooted to re-run the installer iso. thank you sir for the fix.

0 Kudos