VMware Cloud Community
MrSiddiqui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

error interacting with configuration file etc/vmware/esx.conf unable to create for open a log file lock failed with reason read only file system

Hi Friends, I am currently facing a problem where ESXi 4.1 host is not booting properly and after providing Username and psw throws me back with the following error "error interacting with configuration file etc/vmware/esx.conf unable to create for open a log file lock    failed with reason read only file system"

What happened was the MotherBoard of the server was changed and when i rebooted the server i was presented with this above error. Please advice how can i get over it...

Best regards

0 Kudos
2 Replies
William22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

what about this .

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203779...

"Whoever is happy will make others happy too."
0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well, the log location is taken in /scratch partition or under /var/log

unable to create for open a log file lock    failed with reason read only file system

The error you are facing is because the scratch partition's UUID might be changed now, since you have changed the motherboard which inturn might have onboard nic. From the nic mac address, the vmkernel tries to map the other partitions. What I can suggest you to do is:

1. Disable TPM in Bios if you are using an Intel

2. Check this kb VMware KB: ESX 4.x stops booting with the error: Failed to copy esx.conf from initrd to filesystem

0 Kudos