parent id    "bef42eb1"

CID           "dc0c75ea"

3rd snapshot in row

parent id    "a511383b"

CID            "7db2e155"

4th and should be last snapshot in row

parent id     "7db2e155"

CID           "bef42eb1"

as it seems to me, the third loads after the first and the second after my last snapshot. is there any easy way to correct this chain without breaking even more?

if i would just correct the parent ids in the vmdk files, would that help and be enough or will any other config files still refer to this corrupt chain?

is the parentFileNameHint important as well to refer in the correct order?

other it would even be possible for me to completely go without snapshot 2 in that row, since i got the data backup-ed externally from that snapshot and could recreate them otherwise.

i have to get back to my really last snapshot in order to access my missing files.

(i already have all vmdk files backed up as well. but not all delta vmdks since i ran out of space)

could a cause of this be a power-loss. our village was out of power for hours about three or four times. and one of those even killed my USP batteries

as i read now. i know i have been keeping the snapshots for far to long. but as the now attached images shows. it tells me i am at the latest snapshot. but still the play sigh is at the first. which confuses me even more

thank you soooooo much in advance for helping.

greetings

mike

0 Kudos
13 Replies
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

No, the parent and CID are only stored in the VMDK descriptor. If you do this correctly, you can repair the chain. It still won't show up in vSphere, but you can access the files.

0 Kudos
cpunc
Contributor
Contributor

thx 4 your reply. i already changed the vmdk files as described in VMDK-Handbook-Basics as well as the vmx file.

will upload them now and try to start the machine again. after i hopefully have a clean start with the data i am missing. should i remove all snapshots in the snapshot manager to commit to my base disk?

reading the vmdk handbook basics made me curious about another thing. it says that if i find vmsn files i can remove them. i have 4 vmsn files. 3 with each 39kb and one with 8gig. can i surely delete them?

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

I wouldn't do that now, first try to change the VMDK files and see what that brings. Otherwise we'll go from there.

0 Kudos
cpunc
Contributor
Contributor

it showed a bluescreen and now says
windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

launch startup repair (recommended)

start windows normaly

startup.jpg

would it maybe help to change the vmdks so snapshot 2 will not be loaded. cause i know a college had some updates run while running on the wrong snapshot?

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

You could try that but they're all linked so not sure if that will work. Perhaps startup repair might help you?

0 Kudos
cpunc
Contributor
Contributor

cant start since there is no local administrator account. has the ad with it.

so as i already asked my next try would be delete snapshot 2 vmdk and parent of 3 would be 1 then. could that help

0 Kudos
cpunc
Contributor
Contributor

or could the vmsn files cause problems. as i mentioned. one of it hast 8gb, and the other 3 have only 30KB

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

No, I think the reason this is bigger is because somesome snapshotted with memory enabled. You could try a go to via the snapshot manager, if you're sure you have the stuff backuped up.

Screen Shot 2013-11-29 at 15.26.15.png

0 Kudos
cpunc
Contributor
Contributor

i have the vmdks in order as they should be. on snapshot 2 where some backups done as a colleague didn't know that the state wasn't the correct.

but my last snapshot is or has been up to date.

u mean to make a new snapshot? vm is powered down since it wont start without repair after the vmdks where changed.

well as backup, the only thing i couldn't back up yet/or generally is the base disk. since i ran out of memory

i have all other vmdk delta files and the vmsn files as well als vmdk vmx etc

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

No don't create a new snapshot. But what is the problem now, your VM won't start? Perhaps you can do something with active directory restore mode.. Another option is to create a new Windows VM and add the hard disk of the non booting VM add recover data manually.

0 Kudos
cpunc
Contributor
Contributor

ok. have to head home and get my notebook. i've written down the directory restore password in there.
for the other option. i dont really have enough space on that host. could maybe try to get a other host running. but that will probably be no option

will be back in half a hour

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe I'm missing something, but I read your initial post a couple of times and didn't see anything wrong!? Do you have any issues or errors with the snapshot chain, please explain?

The snapshot file names are not important at all, it's only the "parentFileNameHint" as well as the "CID"/"parentCID" which makes up the correct chain.

André

0 Kudos
cpunc
Contributor
Contributor

got the server running, but still not the right snapshot

will try to mount the files on my local computer

0 Kudos