VMware Cloud Community
velkeneersd
Contributor
Contributor

error caused by file [path to vmdl] during copy of a vm from snapshot on NFS data Sore

I'm having an issue when copying a vmdk to another or same data store (NFS) . this can be from our nfs snapshot folder or even from one folder to another that makes no difference. all other files copy fine.

Is it not vmdk that is the issue but the size of files i don't know.

We are using ESXi 5

Anyone an idea? we cannot restore any backups out of NFS snapshots due tot this issue

grtz

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I'm having an issue

can you be more specific ? - I hope you do not try to use cp against vmdks ?

0 Kudos
velkeneersd
Contributor
Contributor

i wrote the problem in the title

error caused by file [path to vmdl] during copy of a vm from snapshot on NFS data Store

we try to copy a vmdk out of a nfs snapshot (flat files) to the same or another data store and this copy fails with error error caused by file [path to vmdk]

Copy is done in datastore browser. small files seem to work. even vmdks from 8gb copy fine. when copying 30gb the error occurs. And the errur occurs instantly so not after copying half the file...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The best tool to copy / clone vmdks is vmkfstools - I would avoid using Datastorebrowser

0 Kudos