VMware Cloud Community
ZeevEisenberg
Contributor
Contributor

empty Manufacturer and Model strings

I'm running ESXi 5.5 U2 on new Dell PowerEdge R620 servers, fresh install from Dell's customized ISO. In the vSphere client (and also the web client), the manufacturer and model fields are blank. If I run 'esxcli hardware platform get' on the host itself, Product Name and Vendor Name are blank. Same for 'esxcfg-info -w | more'. I have installed and run ESXi 5.5 on other Dell servers (different model) and it always says it's a Dell model bla bla. Is there something wrong with the hardware? Something missing in the BIOS? Some module not loaded in ESXi? Any ideas why it's not showing all the info?

~ # esxcfg-info -w | more

+Hardware Info :

|----BIOS UUID...................................................0x4c etc.

|----Product Name................................................

|----Vendor Name.................................................

|----Serial Number...............................................<snip>

|----Hardware Uptime.............................................601818434241

|----Ipmi Supported..............................................true

\==+PCI Info :

\==+All Pci Devices :

\==+PCI Device :

|----Segment............................................0x0000

Thanks,

Ze'ev

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try restarting management agents?

services.sh restart

take a look at this KB :

VMware KB: Cannot clear Hardware Status warnings and errors in VMware vCenter Server 4.x and 5.x

I know it is slightly different issue than yours, but the point is to reset the sensors.

New blog - https://virtualizeme.org/
0 Kudos
ZeevEisenberg
Contributor
Contributor

If it were only that easy. The servers have been rebooted a number of times - no joy.

0 Kudos
bspagna89
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

can you check to see if the service is running?

In vCenter - > Configuration, Security profile -> properties next to services -> ensure that CIM server is running and click Options to verify that it is set to start and stop with host.

Then go to hardware status and see if the sensors populated any information. You can also try running that command.

New blog - https://virtualizeme.org/
0 Kudos
ZeevEisenberg
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, and yes. The hardware sensors are populating pretty much everything that I can see, bios version, service tag, status of the different resources - just not manufacturer and model. It's weird.

0 Kudos