VMware Cloud Community
khaliqamar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

emc power paths

We are using EMC VNX.  ESXi cluster storage "owner" colum is stating POWERPATH  in vCenter > host > configure >storage adopters ."

during one recent outage on one port  - esx lost is storage and load did not transfered to the second port and as a result our host become unresponsive.

so when i see now on PSP it is most resent used selected which i know is not good when i see the EMC VMX storage guide.

My question : is not powerpath automatically select the appropriate path ?

OR

do we need to select the RR path manually even vcenter is showing powerpath as an owner?

Any way to check powerpath is working ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You still need to set RR even though PowerPath is installed, if I recall correctly.

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I also have VNX and I don't recall doing any changes. RR was by default

0 Kudos
khaliqamar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

how you were able to confirm that your path has been changed to RR or any other path automatically. esxi is not able to run any powerpath command.

however, we also did nothing to configure  and i can see in vcenter MRU only.

we dont have any PowerPath VU/ or VSI in our vcenter so i can check what powerpath has selected?

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sorry, my fault, misunderstood it

0 Kudos
khaliqamar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

what i want to know is to confirm that powerpath is doing RR (utilizing both ports) which i can find no where but the link you have posted ( 2nd) showed me a way to esxitop so through ESXTOP i can see it is utilizing both ports even my vcenter is showing MRU.

Thanks a lot for your post.

0 Kudos