ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  duplicate LUN ID when using multiple arrays

Posted May 09, 2016 06:40 PM

I am setting up a new VMware farm in a large corporation, where both EMC and Netapp SANs are being used.

I asked a storage engineer to present a RDM LUN from the Netapp SAN. They gave this a  LUN ID of 0. Unfortunately, my boot LUN on the EMC also has a LUN ID of 0. This has resulted in two LUNs on separate arrays with an ID of 0. The targets do differ and the paths are all up.

I have never had duplicate LUN IDs like this before and wondered if this is an issue, and if it is commonly encountered in multiple array situations. Maybe I need to be more specific with the SAN engineers about which LUN ID they present at the time, is this something the SAN engineer chooses from their console?

Do I need to worry about this at all? I have screen dumped the two LUNs.

• 2.  RE: duplicate LUN ID when using multiple arrays
    Best Answer

Posted May 09, 2016 07:39 PM

I can tell you that we have duplicate LUN IDs that are from differing arrays within our environment as well (that I inherited from the previous engineer).  From what I recall the only pain is dealing with tracking which LUN comes from which array easily, we have no performance/technical issues that arose from this.

I do make it a point to have them cut LUNs with different IDs now simply for the ease of tracking.   

Hope that helps a bit and someone else chimes in!

• 3.  RE: duplicate LUN ID when using multiple arrays

Posted May 10, 2016 12:56 PM

Hello,

Your lun is not the same and it is not the same path for these Lun 0. Your Target is different.

Thank you

Regards,