VMware Cloud Community
RobertoDM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

disk space not added as seen in KB's

Hello everyone, i've been using vmware for a year but just the essentials, so i don't really know how to "fix" this... here we go..

I created a new virtual machine with Windows 2012 at the beginning with just 120 GB HDD and 4 GB RAM to get started from my own lap top and then to the ESXi 5.2 server that we have, everything went fine even in ESXi server, but finally when i had to expand the size of that VM to 800 GB but nothing happened it just says 800GB of space but it's not true, so the question is: Who knows how to fix this? thanks for any clue or something.

For details this VM is version 9 with 8 GB RAM it suppose to be with 800 GB, the server is ESXi 5.2, and as you can see on the next images i can't extend volume from Disk Management. From "Edit Settings" option from VSphere we have 800 GB too.

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Rob

errorDWH.png

errorDWH2.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

DON'T delete anything! I saw such an issue a few times and what usually solves it, is to increase the virtual disk another time (e.g. by 1 GB) and then extend the partition again from within the guest OS.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is a windows issue - you will have expand the disk within the windows OS -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
RobertoDM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi weinstein5, that's what i'm trying but as you can see the first picture... it's disabled so... can't do this way

0 Kudos
RobertoDM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Fillips, that's a great description for future and knowledge but, i don't have a second drive as described in the web, and can't add more space cause i have just that space (800 gb) reserved (and asigned) for that VM, also i already see that i have "800 GB" with no "unallocated" space.

0 Kudos
RobertoDM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, i'll try this, hope the best je.. is there a problem if i create a snapshot just to be careful? or need to be without snapshot?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

DON'T delete anything! I saw such an issue a few times and what usually solves it, is to increase the virtual disk another time (e.g. by 1 GB) and then extend the partition again from within the guest OS.

André

0 Kudos
franktroeger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

have you done a rescan in the disc manager?

The windows wont see the added discspace until you done right click rescan discs.

hope this simple trick solves your prob

0 Kudos
RobertoDM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for answer and yes, i did it, still the same information

0 Kudos
RobertoDM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the answer, so if i understand, do i need just increase like 1 gb (or more) from the VSphere? and proceed with the extend of the HDD prob. with Disk Manager?

should this VM off at the moment of increase or just do that? with or without snapshots (i saw a lot of issues when a snapshot is there)?

thanks for your help

0 Kudos
franktroeger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

normally i do it online, but to be shure if win 2012 recognize diskspace you should use diskpart to check if win recognize anything.

cmd -> diskpart -> list disk -> select disk 0 -> list partition

and give output

if not you should be careful

in addition i recognized that it is a simple volume and contains a 100mb non ntfs partition and system root might be possible that you cant solve this online because you cant convert it into dynamic disk.

my solution would be check the diskpart stuff and if you see free space at the end of the simple volume attach the disk to a other vm and try to grow it as a data volume or with a 3rd party disk tool.

make shure that there is no snapshot AND that you have a valid backup of your data!

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can do all of the steps online. Increase the virtual disk, make sure the Disk Management shows the additional space and then extend the partition.

André

0 Kudos
RobertoDM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for your help, the answer was the increasing of 1 GB for the VM and then with the Disk Management -> rescan disk -> extend C: (in my case) and everything OK, no need of shutdown.

thanks again to all of you, have a great day.

0 Kudos
franktroeger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

glad to hear you solved it without downtime and good to know that simple volume is not a problem Smiley Happy