VMware Cloud Community
santosh42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

disable vmotion for only 1 vm in a ESX host

Hi,

We have a ESX environment that is configured with vMotion.

As a consequence, i have seen VMs moving from one ESX to another very frequently.

Among these VMs, i have a very critical VM which i dont want it to move to any other ESX host.

Is there any option that i can use to disable VMotion only for this particular VM of mine (in order to keep it constant on the ESX upon which it is right now) and allow other VMs to keep moving.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jeevesm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am assuming your VMs are migrating between ESX servers due to automated DRS configuration at ESX cluster level. You can override this for a specific VM. Right click cluster -> Select "Edit Settings" -> Under VMware DRS, click on Virtual Machine options. On the right, make sure that "Enable individuak virtual machine automation levels" is checked. You can see VMs list below. Select the VM you want to override and change Automation level to Disabled

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jeevesm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am assuming your VMs are migrating between ESX servers due to automated DRS configuration at ESX cluster level. You can override this for a specific VM. Right click cluster -> Select "Edit Settings" -> Under VMware DRS, click on Virtual Machine options. On the right, make sure that "Enable individuak virtual machine automation levels" is checked. You can see VMs list below. Select the VM you want to override and change Automation level to Disabled

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

....remember that even though you can disable DRS for a guest, it will not stop someone from manually vmotioning a guest.

kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would change it to partially automated or manual.

give this a read: www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_drs_wp.pdf

jeevesm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also, if you think too many VMotions are taking place, move migration threshold towards Conservative

0 Kudos
santosh42
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks all for a quick help.

Now, that's gonna help me for sure.. Smiley Happy

Thanks

0 Kudos