VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

differences between HW numbers and vmdk versions??

Where can I find something explaining the differences between hardware versions -- particularly HW version 8 and higher??

Does vSphere 5.1 and higher have a different vmdk version than 5.0??

I know about the hardware version compatibility idea introduced with 5.1 and beyond...but what about vmdk compatibility?? VMware Tools compatibility??

How much attention and concern must be paid to vmdk and VMware Tools differences between 5.0 U1/U2 and later ESXi versions??

Thank you, Tom

P.S. Surprised not to see anything yet in the blogosphere about vSphere.Next...prices should be reduced IMO now that Hyper-V has caught up in so many ways. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure about VMDK versions, there are differences between workstation  \ player and server and ESX is completely different.

HW version includes updates such as NIC version, so 4 is older than 7, 7 has VMXNet 3 for instance and 4 does not.  If you are running ESX you shouldn't have different versions of the VMDK they should all be the same.

The HW versions will be more relevant to the guest OS, because the virtual hardware will change between HW versions.

P.S. Surprised not to see anything yet in the blogosphere about vSphere.Next...prices should be reduced IMO now that Hyper-V has caught up in so many ways. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Not sure what you mean here.. I am not getting into a hyper-v disucssion however I will say Hyper-V in NO way shape or form is even *CLOSE* to VMware.  To say that HyperV has caught VMware is like saying Airplanes have caught up with space travel.. Hyper-V has advanced, and finally has reached a point where its NOW usable and it can do many things that VMware has been doing for years, but there NO comparison at all.

Hyper-V is lacking in so many ways, and things still have to be done manually.

Setup Windows 2012 with Hyper-V, try to manage 3 servers from one Hyper-V host, and TRY to perform the same functions.. you are missing so many features, and I can install 1 package from Vmware, only 1, be done in 15 minutes (completely) and my ESX host is all set..

Windows 2012 will take at LEAST 2 hours, you have to do multiple reboots, you can't even get basic info like IP address from the management window on a hyper-V VM...

You call THAT caught up?  You have a very vague perception of how Hyper-V works, don't THINK that just because Microsoft has great marketing prowess that means their product lives up the hype, I can guarantee you it does not.

It's also NOT cheaper... like I said not getting into, sufffice to say that is a VERY incorrect statement.

There is a reason VMware charges what they do, their product is superior to EVERY other hyper-V.. EVERY hyper-V and EVER feature.  You get what you pay for.. and you get EXACTLY what you expect with VMware.. that's why the price is seemingly higher...

VMware is not going to make their product cheaper... becuase it's only a matter of time until Hyper-V will callapse in on itself.. it's not a viable product at all.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am asking regarding VSPHERE / ESXI -- I don't care about Workstation etc.

Need to know all this for when/if circumstances require managing 5.0 hosts in conjunction with higher version hosts.

Is there any sort of documentation about this stuff -- vmdk differences and what's in the different hardware versions??

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

tlyczko wrote:

I am asking regarding VSPHERE / ESXI -- I don't care about Workstation etc.

No difference.  ALL the same.

0 Kudos
killeroo100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Regarding the storage question...you might find this link helpful - http://cormachogan.com/2012/09/04/vsphere-5-1-storage-enhancements-part-1-vmfs-5/

We have upgraded to vSphere 5.1 and our VMFS 5 file system number is 5.54. Will be adding and formatting some storage soom so will see if that number changes.

0 Kudos
SCMHenry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I belieeve the most current version of VMFS is 5.58.

0 Kudos