VMware Cloud Community
vmchr1s
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

difference between a vcenter license and esxi license?

Can someone please explain to me the difference between a vCenter license and an ESXi license?

I have downloaded licensing pdfs and I can't find anything that explains what each license does and why they're seperate.

I understand the difference between vcenter and esxi

But functionality do each unlock? Why do I need two different licenses?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are 3 vCenter editions:

VMware vCenter Server for Essentials kits – Integrated

management for VMware vSphere Essentials kits

VMware vCenter Server Foundation – Centralized

management for up to three VMware vSphere hosts

VMware vCenter Server Standard – Highly scalable management

with rapid provisioning, monitoring, orchestration and control

of all virtual machines in a VMware vSphere environment

When you buy ESXi Essentials or Essentials Plus it only comes as a kit which includes vCenter Essentials and 3 ESXi host licenses (max 2 CPU in each host).

Server Foundation as stated is good for up to 3 ESXi hosts and you can license ESXi as Standard, Enterprise or Ent.Plus.

With vCenter Server you can add any number of hosts (there is a practical limit).

You can buy Acceleration Kits - those include both ESXi and vCenter licenses.  See page 8 - http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The vCenter license activates the vCenter host (otherwise you can't really use it past the 60 day eval period) and the ESXi license activates your ESXi host.  The ESXi licenses for the most part controls the features you get.

The vCenter license dictate how many hosts you can connect to (i.e. vCenter Essentials limits you to 3 hosts).

0 Kudos
vmchr1s
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response Dave.

is there a vcenter licensing doc out there anywhere? That just explains the vcenter licensing?

I think that's where i'm the most confused.

I'm assuming the ESXi license unlocks vmotion, svmotion, HA, FT etc etc etc

But besides how many hosts vcenter can host, what else does the vCenter lisence unlock?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I haven't seen anything vCenter specific (outside the licensing PDF).  The ESXi licenses enable the features (HA, FT, etc) but you really can't configure or manage those without vCenter.

I could license an ESXi host (directly) with Enteprise Plus (but I couldn't take advantage of most features until I added the host to vCenter).

0 Kudos
vmchr1s
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, now that makes sense.

is it then fair to say, that a vCenter license basically determines how many hosts you're enable to manage?

Like is it vCenter essentials, vCenter standard, vCenter enterprise? Does the vcenter license come bundled with any version of vSphere package that you buy?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are 3 vCenter editions:

VMware vCenter Server for Essentials kits – Integrated

management for VMware vSphere Essentials kits

VMware vCenter Server Foundation – Centralized

management for up to three VMware vSphere hosts

VMware vCenter Server Standard – Highly scalable management

with rapid provisioning, monitoring, orchestration and control

of all virtual machines in a VMware vSphere environment

When you buy ESXi Essentials or Essentials Plus it only comes as a kit which includes vCenter Essentials and 3 ESXi host licenses (max 2 CPU in each host).

Server Foundation as stated is good for up to 3 ESXi hosts and you can license ESXi as Standard, Enterprise or Ent.Plus.

With vCenter Server you can add any number of hosts (there is a practical limit).

You can buy Acceleration Kits - those include both ESXi and vCenter licenses.  See page 8 - http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf.

0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks
Jump to solution

Hope this pdf will help you to understand about ESXi and VC licenses better.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/licensing_howto_guide.pdf

~Ganesh~

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh, come on, it is like Windows & Office licence.

Complety different products (they wortk together, but are independent)

Seb

0 Kudos