VMware Cloud Community
SRU1
Contributor
Contributor

/dev/cdrom SATA Raid controler installation

Hello,

I would like first of all to take the opportunity of posting for the first time to thank the community for its amazing reactivity. Indeed, up to now, I hadn't had the need to post myself as someone already answered all my questions. so alas here is mine this time :

• I've installed ESXi 4.0 on an IDE drive. Smooth.

• I have installed an ADAPTEC 3405 SATA RAID controller (part of ESXi 4 Whitebox I am almost certain) to manage 4 SATA drives. It is recognized by ESXi 4.0.

• When I try to use this resource from my vSphere client, it doesn't appear. At this point I realize I should install ADAPTEC's drive.

• Since the installation of said driver is console-based, I figure out how to access it ; only to discover that apparently the CD-ROM drive is not supported (and it isn't in /dev/hda, /dev/hdc).

What am I doing wrong ? not understanding ?

Very best regards,

Sebastien

P.S.: Is it me or doesn't "dmesg" work in ESXi's linux ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi isn't Linux so you can't just add any driver to it. Here's a list of what ESXi can recognize for hardware - http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/Hardware_support.php.

SRU1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Dave,

From the looks of the list, oddly enough my adaptec 3405 was natively supported by ESXi 3.5 but no longer by ESXi 4.0. Strange.

Anyways, thank you for your answer, I should keep the community posted on the matter.

Sebastien.

Message was edited by: SRU

Strange thing, on this VMWare page : it says that the adaptec 3405 is indeed supported ?

0 Kudos