ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  deploy multiple vms using vmdk file and SID

Posted Sep 24, 2010 12:04 AM

Hello,

Need to know if i am doing correct or i am missing something.....I am deploying multiple vms using following method.

1.take vmdk files from a XP.

2.create new folders and copy the vmdk to that folder.

3. create VMs using existing vmdk files.

4. rename the computer and join to domain.

my question is, as my VMDK files are from an existing xp vm ( no longer exist ), what is the status of deployed vms ? are they still holding the same SID or it is changed ? I was able to join to the domain, but do not want to have surprises in the future.

Note:

I had another option, could have automated all these with new SID using PowerCLi, unfortunately, osCustomization failing, i cant event run the commend get-OsCustomization, it keeps failing.

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: deploy multiple vms using vmdk file and SID

Posted Sep 24, 2010 12:21 AM

If you're just cloning / copying virtual disks then the SID will remain the same. You would want to run sysprep or a similar tools to change the SID. If you're running vCenter then you can use the *-OSCustomizationSpec cmdlets to create and manage the specifications. You would apply a spec to a VM with either Set-VM or New-VM.

See this article about SIDs - http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

• 3.  RE: deploy multiple vms using vmdk file and SID

Posted Sep 24, 2010 01:08 AM

Dave,

So creating a new VMX file does not chagne or alter the SID , am i correct ? SID is attached to vmdk files and it was set at the time of windows installation - could you clarify this .

thx

• 4.  RE: deploy multiple vms using vmdk file and SID
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 24, 2010 02:11 AM

Yes, Windows writes the SID to disk (virtual disk for VMs or physical disk for physical machines). The guest OS has no idea about the vmx file.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.