VMware Cloud Community
rubenvega
Contributor
Contributor

delta.vmdk

Hi!!

i have some files delta.vmdk. How can i delete it? it are growing and mi disk is near to be full

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
micahwork
Contributor
Contributor

clear down your snapshots.

the delta files are you snapshot images.

0 Kudos
johthi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I hope snapshot is running on this VM. If you dont need snapshot for this VM just comit it. After comititng your datastore space get reduced but it will take some time depending upon the size of the VMDK file.

If this information is useful please mark it CORRECT or HELPFUL

AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

Right-click on VM, select Snapshot Manager.

Select Delete All.

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
Tanav
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

one question:- do you have one snapshot or more than one. if you have more than one and have less disk space then please follow the below guidelines.

A VM with only one snapshot requires no extra disk space when deleting, or committing,

But if you have multiple snapshots, you will need extra disk space available when deleting all snapshots. This is because of the way they are merged back into the original disk file.

For example, say you were to delete all snapshots on a VM with three snapshots. We'll call them Snap1, Snap2 and Snap3. First, Snap3 will be merged into Snap2, which will cause Snap2 to grow. Next, Snap2 will be merged into Snap1, which will also grow. Finally, Snap1 will be merged into the original disk file, which requires no extra disk space. The snapshot files are deleted when the original disk file is updated at the very end of the operation, rather than being deleted as each is merged into another. So having a VM with 20 GB of snapshots files could potentially require an additional 20 GB when committing them. If you have an ESX host that

0 Kudos
rubenvega
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!!

the snapshot is "consolidated helper" , there is no problem deleting it? This machine is a production machine. Which are the steps ?

thanks a lot

!file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Rvega/CONFIG%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png!

0 Kudos
johthi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For what purpose did you initiated the snapshot. the snapshot name is "consolidated helper" so I thought you are taken snapshot for backup. If you dont need the snapshot then you click goto option in snapshot manager or if you need upto date with snapshot file then you have to comit ie delete option in snapshot manager.

Before one thing how many snapshots are running in this VM. if it is one choose select delete or more than one snapshot click delete all.

If this information is helpful please mark it CORRECT or HELPFUL

0 Kudos