VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

datastore name still exists after deleted

I deleted a datastore and rescanned all hosts and in vcenter the datastore is gone. but in powercli get-datacenter | get-datastore still shows the name there.

Now whenever I try to add a new datastore by the same name, it says the name exists.

any idea how to get rid of this old datastore name?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JagadeeshDev
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

** Do you see the datastore name in VI client ( Switch to datastore view to Datastore view)

** From where you're trying to add the DS ? Powercli or VI client ? Try to add from Vclient and let see if that gives a joy !

http://www.myitblog.in/
0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

yes i see it in the datastore view but the option to delete or unmount it is not there.

0 Kudos
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think I've seen this before and I think what I had to do was select each host, go to configuration -> datastores and delete it from there.  I think there is a lingering connection to one of your hosts.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

can you try restarting vCenter Inventory Service and VirtualCenter server service?

Also try the following steps from the KB VMware KB: Datastore appears empty from the datastore browser

To resolve this issue, remove all the invalid references to the old datastore name. The following objects can reference the datastore:

• A registered virtual machine.
  • A registered template.
  • A host on which the datastore appears on Datastores list, even when the storage device is no longer accessible.

To remove these references:

1. Go to the Datastores view.
  2. Select the invalid, nonexistent, old, or removed datastore.
  3. Select the Virtual Machines tab.
  4. Right-click all of the virtual machines and templates and click Remove from Inventory from the context menu.
  5. If the datastore is still visible, click the Hosts tab (to determine which hosts still 'see' the invalid datastore).
  6. In each of these hosts click Configuration and Storage, then click Refresh.