VMware Cloud Community
arosenau
Contributor
Contributor

convert xenserver to vmware ESXi 5

I have several xenserver virtual windows servers that I need to convert to ESXi5. For the small, non application/database machines I have just used the version 5 vmware converter and it works fine. My question is for my exchange/database/domain controllers. Is it good enough for the database and exchange services to just stop the services or should these be done somehow as an offline or cold clone? What about domain controllers, I believe the reccomendation is to rebuild them, is there a safe cold clone/offline method?

I have looked into what used to be the vizioncore vconvert, now owned by Quest, unfortunently the current version does not appears to suppor the version 5 vma appliance, and in talking to quest they are going to be end of lifing that product next month.

Any suggestions?

18 Replies
eric1201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My recommendation would be to export the XS VM's to VHD and convert that way. (A moderatley complex multipart procedure)

This ensures an "image level" type conversion. Has worked great so far!

For the DC's, you should deploy fresh and transfer the FSMO roles & other roles.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with Eric
export the vhds - convert with Starwind Converter to vmdk - and then patch drivers with Converter

0 Kudos
arosenau
Contributor
Contributor

So it appears my process is as follows.

1. Export xenserver vm to VHD (How do I do this I don't see the option within xenserver, I have not looked to see if the xenconvert tool can help with this.

2. Convert it with starwind to vdmk.

3. Use the vmware converter and reconfigure it to vmware.

Rebuild Domain controllers and transfer FSMO roles.

Am I missing anything?

0 Kudos
arosenau
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried the right click option in Xenserver and appliance export and it fails to export, and says to see the log for details, although I'm not sure where the log is located for this particular feature. I'm currently running xenserver 5.6 with no feature or service packs and the export windows it is experimental code.

0 Kudos
eric1201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

TOOLS | VIRTUAL APPLIANCE TOOLS | EXPORT APPLIANCE.

Leave all check boxes at default. Out spits your VHD.

It will export the VMDK control file. Notice some of the differences (IDE).

If you get stuck I can give you a step by step…

arosenau
Contributor
Contributor

There is no option underneath tools, however if I right click on a vm that is off there is an "Appliance Export" option, leaving all the settings and options as default it fails everytime at the Setting up Transport Mechanism stage.

0 Kudos
eric1201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

XS 5.6 FP1 is what I have. And it works for me…

For me, I see it under the location I mentioned, TOOLS|etc……

0 Kudos
arosenau
Contributor
Contributor

so evidently it must work with 5.6 FP1 but not the original 5.6. Unfortunently I do not have enough free capacity on my xenserver hosts to attempt an update to FP1. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
arosenau
Contributor
Contributor

So just for fun I decided to install xenceter 6.0 and now the export is actually running, no idea if it is going to be successful but I am getting farther than before

0 Kudos
eric1201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So- XS 6.0 client with XS 5.6 server is working to do vhd export? Nice...!

0 Kudos
arosenau
Contributor
Contributor

yep, it is still going, I have a feeling it is going to take a LONG time, I don't look forward to doing my 1TB machine.

0 Kudos
eric1201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my experience you will get an average of 30MB/sec.

Once it gets to vm disk "white space" the speed jumps to 60MB/sec until its finished.

The limitation of speed seems to be XS software, not hardware.

0 Kudos
arosenau
Contributor
Contributor

Yea, I did notice that it took a big jump after a while. I am just getting ready to try and process it with the vmware converter, hopefully it all goes smoothly.

0 Kudos
arosenau
Contributor
Contributor

So I converted the vhd files with the starwind converter to vmdk files and ended up with a 1GB file and an 8GB file, it was a small machine but I thought it seemed like small sizes. I imported them into the data store and then created a new vmware virtual machines and attached the hard disk files to the machine, however when I try and boot the machine I get the following error. Any ideas?

An unexpected error was received from the ESX host while powering on VM vm-426.
Module DevicePowerOn power on failed.
Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0, '/vmfs/volumes/4eaab3e9-99db3e4d-1c0a-101f74322030/Cisco WCS/CiscoWcs.vmdk'
Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 7.  Ensure that the disk has been imported.

0 Kudos
eric1201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The process I use, I do not use the starwind converter.

I use WINIMAGE to convert the VHD to VMDK.

There is a process which I follow to get the VM working in ESX with the VMDK as IDE, then I follow a series of steps to get the SCSI driver in boot, then I modify the VMDK to be scsi. Done…

Generally this is the procedure:

1. Export to VHD

2. Convert VHD to VMDK (WinIMAGE – choose fixed disk size)

3. Create VM with virtual hardware except VM disk (ver 7)

4. Upload VMDK to VM folder (Veeam FastSCP)

5. Link to VM (as IDE)

6. Boot, uninstall Xen Tools, reboot

7. Install VMware Tools, reboot

8. Shutdown VM, unlink VM disk – don’t delete!

9. Edit VMDK file with specific values (I will post)

10. Upload edited text file

11. Relink VMDK (it will now show as SCSI 0:0)

12. Boot, reboot

13. Done.

Past this I will upgrade vHardware to v8. Convert from Thick to Thin… etc.

I will post the step-by-step tomorrow.

Process is 100% bulletproof for Windows based VM’s. Have not yet nailed down an exact step-by-step for Linux. Linux procedure requires steps taken first while the VM is running on Xen to remove PV kernel. It’s a bear!

arosenau
Contributor
Contributor

Awsome, thanks if you can post the step by step that would be awsome. You've been a huge help.

0 Kudos
arosenau
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to follow your directions and have the machine booting on my exsi 5 host using IDE disks just fine. It worked flawlessly. If you could post the instructions/changes needed to convert it to SCSI disks and if there is anything else I need to do that would be great then i could get started on my other vms.

Thanks

0 Kudos
xscesar
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Mr Eric,

Any notice about the exact step-by-step for Linux VMs conversion from XS to VSphere 5?

We converted the VHD file to VMDK but when we try to start the VM, we receive a grub "Error 13: "Invalid or unsupported executable format".

It seems to be something related to the linux Xen kernel.

if you have any idea....

Tks in advance

Cesar

0 Kudos