VMware Cloud Community
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

convert the disk to Eager Zerod Thick

I have shutdown my db server with FT disks and migrated to another host.

Error message: failed to open (Thin/TBZ disks cannot be opened in multiwriter mode.). 

This migration removed formatting of the disk based on what I have read in this article (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103357...) and I am unable to power it on. Checked it and looks like it did:
vim-cmd /vmsvc/device.getdevice 240 | grep -i "Hard Disk 5" -A 14
            label = "Hard disk 5",
            summary = "41,943,040 KB",
         },
         backing = (vim.vm.device.VirtualDisk.FlatVer2BackingInfo) {
            dynamicType = <unset>,
            fileName = "[iscsi_vsa_03] vmdb12/vmdb12_4.vmdk",
            datastore = 'vim.Datastore:4df78c93-28dd82b4-30a3-001b21378e78',
            diskMode = "persistent",
            split = false,
            writeThrough = false,
            thinProvisioned = false,
            eagerlyScrub = <unset>,
            uuid = "6000C298-9a1e-41e5-674c-06f841d4c925",
            contentId = "162229b0fda7a14745246a8a3e255285",
            changeId = <unset>,
~ #
  • If the VMDK virtual disk is of type Thin, convert the disk to Eager Zerod Thick using the vmkfstools --inflatedisk command. For example:

vmkfstools --inflatedisk /vmfs/volumes/DatastoreName/VMName/VMName.vmdk

Note: The inflate command reports the percentage of completion.

• If the VMDK virtual disk is of type Thick, convert the disk to Eager Zeroed Thick using the vmkfstools --eagerzero command. For example:

vmkfstools --eagerzero /vmfs/volumes/DatastoreName/VMName/VMName.vmdk

Note: The eager zero command does not report the percentage of completion.

1. Do I need to run both commands?

2. Will this have an affect on the data that on those disks?

> if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers <
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

The disk is not thin provisioned (thinProvisioned = false), so the "vmkfstools --inflatedisk" command is not needed.  Running the "vmkfstools --eagerzero" command should not impact any data on the disk, but it is always a good idea to make sure you have a backup before running any disk commands.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

The disk is not thin provisioned (thinProvisioned = false), so the "vmkfstools --inflatedisk" command is not needed.  Running the "vmkfstools --eagerzero" command should not impact any data on the disk, but it is always a good idea to make sure you have a backup before running any disk commands.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you. it worked and both servers are on line.

Still don't understand why migrating to a different datastore removes formatting. Vmware support say it should not but it happened to both of my clustered servers.

> if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers <
0 Kudos