VMware Cloud Community
marshallmathers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

connecting two vmware hosts to nexus 3k switches

does anyone have any best practices on connecting 2 VMWare hosts to 2 Cisco nexus N3K switches .

Any sample configuration would be very helpful as this will be the first time setting up VPC with vmware .

Thanks,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NagangoudaPatil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Connect both ESXi hosts to Cisco Nexus 3k switch (A and B), configure LACP from vCenter. We did for Lenovo servers with 10G LACP for ESXi 5.5.

0 Kudos
marshallmathers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

would i typically vpc my esx hosts if i am only connecting the iscsi and vm networks?

(leaving mgmt and vMotion on 1 GbE, seperate switch)

0 Kudos
just_larry
Contributor
Contributor

this is for the pod but the switch setup is the same, near the end in line for line config. Every step you need is here.

FlexPod Express with Cisco UCS Mini and VMware vSphere 5.5 with IP-Based Storage - Cisco

0 Kudos
marshallmathers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

all my iSCSI is currently on single VLAN this doc says to have it on 2 separate VLANS . any thought on this?

0 Kudos
just_larry
Contributor
Contributor

I have NetApp and use NFS. I followed the guide when I setup the switches, reconfigured my ESX host and setup Netapp as the guide showed. Everything works and is very solid. Fail overs work and fail back works. With the guide written by Cisco and NetApp it was just a good fit for me.

0 Kudos