VMware Cloud Community
plindberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

connecting new host to vmfs -- what could go wrong?

I've just set up a new server with ESXi 4.1, and I want to assign a LUN to it which contains a VMFS (v3.33) datastore being used by 4 ESXi 4.0 hosts.  I've done this procedure several times before (not with this combination of host versions, though), but I always get nervous.

Is there a chance that Something Bad could happen to my datastore when I connect the new host to it, or is it just my OCD acting up?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you follow Dave's instructions above, you have nothing to worry about - though you are taking the right approach by being very careful with Storage matters.

The variations in versions should make no difference at all, as lon as all ESX hosts attached to the storage support the version of the datastore you are connecting to.

Good luck - and don't stress!

One day I will virtualise myself . . .

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums.  You should add it to the new host with the same LUN id as the other hosts.  Then just do a Rescan on the new host (don't use the Add Storage wizard).  If the  storage doesn't show up after a rescan then the vmkernel log file (messages).

bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you follow Dave's instructions above, you have nothing to worry about - though you are taking the right approach by being very careful with Storage matters.

The variations in versions should make no difference at all, as lon as all ESX hosts attached to the storage support the version of the datastore you are connecting to.

Good luck - and don't stress!

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
plindberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It worked!  Thanks.

0 Kudos