VMware Cloud Community
sbh_
Contributor
Contributor

communicate from local network to ubuntu guest OS hosted on ESXi 7

Hello,
I have three PowerEdge servers on my network. Each PowerEdge server has ESXi 7, and the ESXi server hosts two Ubuntu guests. Each of the guest OS capable to go out to the internet. but from the network I can't access the guest OS. I can access the ESXi server itself. but not the guest OS on it.

I found out all the guest OS got the same ip address.

I want to have application that run in each one of the guest OS and communicate with the other five instances. The application is outside the scope of my question.

My question is, how do I set the ESXi server so the guest OS will be accessible from the local network?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tdoc210
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Have you created a separate port-group for the vm-networks? Have you trunked vlans to your uplinks? We would need to know more about the design of your network? Is there a firewall in between yourself and the vm-network.

-Mike

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> I found out all the guest OS got the same ip address.
Sounds strange. Are the VM's configured as DHCP clients?

Please remember that Ubuntu receives a DHCP lease based on its "DHCP unique identifier" (DUID), which may be the same if you cloned the VMs.

If this is the case, you basically have two options (other than setting fixed IP settings):

1. set the MAC address as the DHCP identified
    add dhcp-identifier: mac to the network configuration (the netplan .yaml file)
  2. generate a new ID
    sudo mv /etc/machine-id /etc/machine-id.bak
    sudo systemd-machine-id-setup

André

0 Kudos