VMware Cloud Community
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cloning workstation

I have one Windows XP machine sitting on the host (Version 4) that I like to make additional 4 copies of.  What is the best method to doing this?

TIA,

tntrac

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BharatR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Require Resources available in ur HOST Machine

Can u share the Host Configuration in that the VM (Windows Xp) is Running eg:CPU RAM  Datastore Free Space and used Space

Best regards, BharatR--VCP4-Certification #: 79230, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

Hi

I hope you have vCenter?

For rapid cloning of virtual machines use http://opendedup.org/nasapp as this will clone multiple VMs at the same time

Where do you want to place your cloned copies? if the same machine then jus copy the VM folder to make multiple VMs

If its a different location say ESXi than use vSphere Converter and with that you will be allowed to run 3 conversions at the same time.

Hope this information is helpful

Nikhil

UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,
There are four ways you can go for it

1) Clone your existing vm and while starting the cloned vm's run sysprep for new configuration.
2) Convert you existing vm into template and start making vm's from it.
3) Make a multiple copy of VM folder into datastore
    1) There would be the .vmx file add that file into inventory
    2) Doing the above step you will get the new VM added into you datacenter
    3) Make sure while powering on you take care of configuration,VM Name and network etc.
4) If you are having the VM Converter tool than go for V2V

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can also try this way..
1) Create new virtual machine and specify it to use a linked physical drive
2) Start Converter 3 and go to the Import wizard and point it to the newly created virtual machin
3) Select the drive/partitions to clone and set a few options like the destination virtual machine
4) Start it off

Cheers, Yours Udin

tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks guys.  I don't have the vCenter.  I will try different suggestions here and report back.

tntrac

0 Kudos